Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

exhaust cam position sensor

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by panmarcum, Jun 25, 2009.

panmarcum

I changed my exhaust cam position sensor on my e46 325i 2002 and ran without cel coming on for about 20 miles. Now it has come back on and it seems to be an intermitent problem. Any members had similar problems? What solutions did you use? Used new part from Autohauzaz and have never had any problems with parts from there.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You need to find out if it is on for the same codes. You cannot assume that it is the same problem. However, it is possible that you do have the same problem. If Autohauz AZ sold you an aftermarket part (not in a BMW box) then it is possible that the sensor is bad. I have had this happen 3 times, and spoken to other shops where it has happened very often, so we only buy them from BMW now.

bmw_matt guest

Did you use an autozone scanner or a peake tool? Did you use OEM or aftermarket? If you used aftermarket, that could be why. Post the code you got and we'll see if we can help

panmarcum

i used a sensor from autohausaz the number on the box is
    12-14-7-518-628/352
    position/rpm sensor
    10409a27
    JL Germany
    made in china
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

That could be your problem. As I said before, I have used these aftermarket sensors, all made in China, and have had them fail either instantly or within a month. I only buy them from the dealer. Still, find someone with a proper BMW scanner (Snap-On, Autologic, GT-1, Launch X431) and see what code is causing the CEL to come on.

wbrodyd guest

Exhaust cam shaft sensor

I've been having a similar problem with my E46 323i. I got the code error from my peake tool then took it to a shop to get their opinion. They told me I needed to change the sensor also. So I went to BMW and bought an OEM replacement exhaust cam shaft sensor and changed the part out. I then took it to a different shop because I was still getting the error code and the car was still running and idling rough. They reset all the codes and told me the only one left was the exhaust cam shaft sensor code. Does anyone know what else could be causing both my peake tool and the mechanics disgnostic tool to give me that error? Thanks so much.