Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Which is more nimble?

Discussion in 'E21 (1977-1983)' started by BlueAngel M3, Jun 7, 2009.

BlueAngel M3 guest

Need a car for auto-x. Need a nice nimble car (BMW only). The candidates are 83 323i, 90 325 or the E36 325/328. Which is the best candidate for auto-x? Thanks in advance. =)

Nik

BoostedE21 guest

E21 is lightest, and I think out of the three, it's the only one with coil-over-shock suspension on all four corners. But being the oldest, it will need all the stuff I mentioned in the other thread. Really, though, even the e36 would need that stuff, because they're getting on a bit now too. I'm pretty sure the 323i comes with a limited slip as well.

Mike Miller

In addition, the E21 would need an adjustable rear suspension carrier to facilitate rear camber adjustment. This is because lowering the E21 results in excessive rear camber. That expense is compounded by the probability that the existing rear suspension carrier is bent, and you'd need to start with a new part from BMW.

However, in my opinion given a tuned suspension, and at least a four-point roll bar, the E21 is indeed the most nimble autocrosser of the choices here.

CRKrieger

It depends on what class you want to run and how much you're willing to spend.

RWP

You might consider a non-sunroof 91 318is....benefits of E30 plus lightest weight of all E30's.