Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Powder Coating 2002 Grille

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by Gonzogonzilla, Jun 2, 2009.

Gonzogonzilla

Anybody ever do that? The paint on the aluminum grille has always been problematic. Powder-coating it would give it some durability. However, you've got to heat the grille up to melt the plastic.

Anybody?

Thanks,

CRKrieger

I assume you mean the black bars in the pre-'74 grilles. It's been quite a while since I looked closely, but weren't the latest ones covered with plastic pieces over the aluminum bars? At any rate, I wouldn't mess around with powdercoating. You might warp them with the heat. Just repaint it occasionally. It isn't that hard.

John in VA

Earlier aluminum grills just had some of the horizontal slats painted black. Later aluminum grills had black painted covers that were glued to the slats. These covers might still be available, but if yours just need some paint, mask and paint them.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Powdercoating will require a brief run up to 450F followed by a lower temp baking. There is normally no warping of aluminum parts.

Gonzogonzilla

Thanks

Well, that gives me something to contemplate.

I've got a real garage queen of epic proportions, here. Thinking about it, I might just as well paint it with old fashioned paint.

I've a responsibility to the car to keep it as original as it was in 1970.

Thanks all for your comments.

Gonzogonzilla

Thanks

Well, that gives me something to contemplate.

I've got a real garage queen of epic proportions, here. Thinking about it, I might just as well paint it with old fashioned paint.

I've a responsibility to the car to keep it as original as it was in 1970.

Thanks all for your comments.

skyking96w

Blacking out 2002 grille

Somebody gave me a tip about 40 years ago when I wanted to black out the grille on my '67 1600 because I thought the 1600ti and the new 2002 looked so cool. Use black vinyl electrical tape instead of painting -- doesn't fade or flake off, and is very resistant to chipping from stones or sand. I have used that technique on several of the BMWs I have owned over the years, and have always been happy with the results. On the '71 car that I have now owned for 27 years, I put the black tape on in the early '80s because the black anodized aluminum pieces were faded. I took a close look at the grille before starting this post, and I guess it's time I renewed the tape because it has shrunk a little bit on the ends and too much aluminum is showing. Not too noticeable from a distance, though.

I realize that I am seeing this thread way too late to affect the decision of the original poster, but I thought I would pass this along.

BMWCCA1

BMW thought the black looked better, too, so that's how all 1600 Convertibles were delivered. Funny how recently the higher-line models are getting chrome grille centers to differentiate them from the lower-line models. But I also see BMW is selling completely blacked-out grilles at their own Centers now. Different strokes for different folks.

Ray, I did the same thing to my first BMW (car) back in 1971, a 1600-2. But use good (3M, etc.) tape if anyone actually goes to the trouble.

Nice avatar, Ray. Good to see you again at the BMW RA rally! :)

skyking96w

Re: Nice avatar, Ray!

Thanks, Phil! (good thing you mentioned the RA rally . . and 1600 convertibles) It was great to see you, too. It has been way too long!