Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Dinan 335i software-upgrade white paper

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by 330indy1, Mar 25, 2008.

330indy1

GDurkee guest

I just recently had the software added to my coupe. It makes a big difference......like being shot out of a sling shot. For convenience reasons, I have the steptronic transmission.....I can only imagine how significant the difference would be in a manual transmission. If you have the bucks, I'd recommend it!

330indy1

a longstanding veteran (Carl at Dreyer & Reinbold) shared with me that the auto tranny does a good job keeping the engine on boost where you don't feel the lag. I told him after a test drive with the manual that I felt the lag.
    You may have the best auto tranny out there Haus.
    Question: with the Dinan SW, is the throttle response/torque feel just as linear as stock?
    ...with the remapping it seems like the torque curve may be a bit, well more curvey, according to the DInan data (?)

GDurkee guest

Thanks for the update on the tranny......I had an M3 before with a manual and am acustomed to an immediate response. I'm sure it's mostly the turbo lag everyone speaks of......this is my first turbo so it's a new feel for me. As to the 'curve' versus 'flat' question, I would say it's definitely a curve.......it seems to just keep coming on with great vigor. Once the lag is gone, it's pretty must a 'thrust away' program.....hold on and hope your (steering) aim is good.

330indy1

By the way, do you have a secondary oil cooler?

Did it come stock? (sport package car?) I wonder if the Dinan SW will raise oil temps, and if you drive it hard enough you may want to consider the Dinan oil cooler. big bucks though....

GDurkee guest

I have the sport package so I had the oil cooler already....didn't need to spend the money on Dinan's which I'm sure is better, but at the same time, I am not going to track my car and will seldom (if ever) have sustained high rev's. I gor the SW for that adrenaline rush and couple minutes of crazy speed at the right time at the right place. It does that and I've not noticed an appreciable increase on the temp gauge....so for my needs, all s fine with the stock oil cooler. BTW, got on it tonight to 'make a light'........it's crazy fast.

330indy1

sounds like you're having fun

I may test drive one this weekend just for fun...

158945 guest

Installed it on my E93 Steptronic

I concur with GDurkee's assessment. I just had it installed on March 31 so I'm only a week into it but it definitely has some great boost and really adds to the sweetness of the car. I drive a convertible and 90% use the paddles now that I have the Dinan upgrade. It allows me to control the car better and hit some of the sweet spots of the software. Definitely recommend.

DKachlakev guest

335i Dinan SW

Few weeks ago I had Dinan SW installed on my 2008 335i coupe. At the time of installation the car had only 1500 miles. I cannot honestly testify about the car's performance before and after the re-flash, since I wasn't pushing the engine during the break in period. However, there is no doubt that the coupe is very fast and responsive in its current form.

This is also my first car of the kind with automatic transmission. It seems that the ZF works very well with the engine. I do not feel any turbo lag. I am accustomed to manual transmissions and normally aspired or supercharged engines and still have no complains of turbo lag.

It also doesn't seem that the Dinan SW increases the oil temperature. In fact, last weekend my local BMW CCA group did spirited driving along the back roads of Central California. The outside temperature was in the low 80's F. The engine oil temperature never exceeded 245-250F.

However, I've noticed some sound coming from the turbo when the engine has been pushed hard and then parked. The sound resembles ticking with metallic notes. Did anybody experience something similar? Does is sound normal?

Thanks.

330indy1

are you letting the car cool down (letting the engine idle) a bit before shutting it off after a hard run? This keeps oil circulating through the turbos while they're still boiling hot.
    It will help your turbo bearings in the long run... and prevent oil coking.

I learnt this a long time ago son, from my 1991 Mitsu GSX.
    ;) I sold it with the original turbo, at 123k miles, and it ran as new, seriously. And I had a ton of performance mods on it.

DKachlakev guest

335i Dinan

Thanks for the advice. I will follow it. This is my first turbo car and I am probably not accustomed to the sounds of the turbo engine.

DKachlakev guest

Have you noticed the gas pedal becoming less sensitive after Dinan SW installation? It might be just my impression, but I feel that at very low rpms (less than 2000) the car is less responsive than before.

330indy1

Possibly because they are reshaping the torque curve. It comes essentially ruler flat from BMW.
    But to bump it in the midband, I am sure that it impacts the lower RPM torque. laws of physics baby. Unless you change all aspects of airflow, you don't get it 'all' with a boost increase. (or maybe you do... but the limiting factor with the twin little turbos is, they're little. That's why they spool fast. Bigger power will need bigger blowers) There are certain tradeoffs to improve peak torque or HP. FI bends the rules obviously.
    ...but as a Dinan upgrade owner, usually their upgrades improve throttle response through re-programming, so you may need to talk to your tech.

ghost34 guest

Dinan CPU Flash - 0-60 & 1/4 Times Available for Auto?

I am hearing that the chip upgrade is worth the coin and the extra HP can really be felt, but I'm wondering if anyone has measured results. I can't find 0-60 times or 1/4's and it doesn't appear that Dinan has published these numbers. Dinan's 335 was also in this month's Modified Luxury and Exotics and it was compared against the new M3, but they didn't show any results either.

DKachlakev guest

It is not a chip upgrade, but rather complete ECU reflashing, which alters (remaps) most of teh engine functions. There are many posts on the internet of dyno results after the Dinan s.w. installation. Most of them basically confirm the company HP and torgue claims, more or less. I am planning to do a dyno run soon and will post the results with this forum.

330indy1

is your throttle response still a bit low, down low?

DKachlakev guest

Yes, it is, particularly up to 2000-2500 rpm. It seems that Dinan will correct the problem by introducing update of the software on May 10th. The updated version will be installed for free on all cars previously upgraded with Dinan. This information was provided by Steve Dinan during teh Bimmer fest last Saturday in Santa Barbara.

drze guest

Throttle response, and other impressions...

Hi, I'm new here. But I just had a Dinan stage 2 install performed last week on my '07 335i sedan (manual transmission.) My impressions so far have not been all that positive. The car is much louder than previously. Just cruising at 75, I hear a constant low-pitch drone. I find myself downshifting quite a bit more than before, because it feels very sluggish at low RPMs. Yeah, if I drop down to 3rd at 75 and floor it, the car does feel more powerful. But for a daily commuter... I dunno. If Dinan is unable to improve the throttle feel at low RPMs and reduce the noise level, I think I'm going to go back to stock :(

330indy1

I assume you have the latest software that is referred to above, as of May 10th (?)

drze guest

Not sure. The dealer was not aware of any updates. I'm trying to get a hold of Dinan tech support to find out (playing voicemail tag right now). The throttle response is *really* annoying. It's almost as if the tuning was done for an automatic not a manual... I'll post an update once I talk with tech support.