Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Ticking noise

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by Hot 540, Feb 14, 2009.

Hot 540 guest

Hi friends..This is my second year enjoying my membership and I want to thank all that have recued me with repairs. You guys are awsome:D.

Ok first question of the year, I just changed oil and filter on my 540i. All went smooth but when I started the car to check for leaks about a minute after car was on I heard a ticking noise and it seems to come from the front side of engine. I turned car off and started again, the ticking again after a minute or so after start up. I went with BMW 5w30 from Mobil 0w40 could this be why?..Anyone have this problem?

mac townsend guest

Does the ticking go away after a minute or so...or does it appear after a mnute or so? driving or stationery?

changing filter will typically take 5-15 seconds or so to refill the filter and the whole oil galley. I'd not be concerened about this...buit if the noise continues beyond that, investigate. I assume the oil pressure warning light is NOT on (when it comes on it is usually too damn late anyway)

OK, a 530 is far newer than anything I've ever dealt with (been allowed to touch or could afford to own!). But conceptually, first step is to find WHAT is ticking and where. Try to listen carefully: where does the sound originate...valve/cam cover? down lower in the engine? Could it be something hitting a belt? (if driving, is something caught in the wheel? a piece of cardboard off the street or something? (yes it happens!)

I don't think a change form 0-40 to 5-30 would result in valve train noise (it shouldn't), I don't think. Especially with engine in just-started condition (possible, I suspect, with all warm as heck after a hard run). Are you sure you filled it to the line?

darn, these (ALL!) cars need an oil pressure gage.<G>

Hot 540 guest

Ticking noise only when I started car. No didnt drive car at all .I turned it off very quickly when heard ticking and have not started it again.. I will try starting car again and let it idle for a couple of minutes...I'll keep you posted. thanks for Info