Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

power steering issue

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by n8ters3, Feb 12, 2009.

n8ters3 guest

I recently drained, removed and cleaned the power steering pump(outside only) and resevoir. After re-instalation I filled the resevoir let the car run for a short time then drove it around. I now have no power assist anymore. There has been no change in fluid level from pre-drive to post drive. Is there possible air in the system or the hoses at the pump backwards(if able)? The symtoms seem strange after being driven. Any ideas would be welcome.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

There is probably air in the system. What year and model? How much fluid did you put in? Most BMWs you can't get hte hoses on wrong.

n8ters3 guest

I figured as much for the hoses. It is an '86 325es. I only had to add about 1\2 to 2\3 of a quart(yellow flag) at the resevoir. I figured that driving around would get most\all the air out. But sometimes thats what you get for thinking. I will get it(car) in the air as soon as I can fix the new gremlin which starts my new thread.

mac townsend guest

usually you have to bleed the system.

with the engine running, crank the wheel most all to the left (don't force it to full lock), then to the right, center check level, add if needed, then repeat. may need to do this 5-6-8 times. screeches, yes. but if you don't force it to full lock you'll be ok. keep checking and refilling level as needed.

this is how I've done my Olds and SAAB.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

This works on BMWs as well, so do that if you still have trouble.

mac townsend guest

I thought so<G> but preferred to qualify it in case Bimmer had some different thing (although mine looks the same as the SAAB, but much harder to get to and work with (now THAT is unusual--something harder to get to than on a SAAB<BG>).