Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

will the upgrades ever end?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by jituji70, Jan 22, 2009.

jituji70

so...in the last year, my front bushing and shock were worn, so I took the opportunity to change them out to Bilstein HD's. Then, recently, I decided to lower and match my springs to the Bilsteins by going with Eibachs instead of stock. I wanted pro-line, but I think my mechanic put sport-line. My tame 01, 325i, non-sport is now more aggressive, stiff as I like it and has no body lean while cornering...but it's low. I've driven 75000 miles with the old springs and suspension and I'm not used to how much lower it is. I've already hit a few stray bits of snow / ice pieces and have cringed when I heard a scrape while entering my local hand car wash. What should I do? I'm in love with the handling, responsiveness and the aggressive appearance, but this is my daily driver. I will not go back to stock springs for sure, but now I'm beginning to wonder if my solution is to go with larger rims (I still have stock 16's). Will this make a significant difference or will it only disappoint and cost me more money? I probably won't go any larger than 18's, but I would be a bit bummed out if this is truly the only course of action, since I recently bought new winters (16's) and all seasons (16's) and both are less than 6 months old, so I would take a hit on those as well. Any advise / experience would be appreciated.

silversnl

Unfortunately, I doubt seriously that a new set of pricey (no way around that fact) 17s or 18s will help the ride height. Most tire stores will try their best to match the new tire and wheel overall diameter (ie. larger rims, smaller sidewall height vs. smaller rims, taller sidewall height). This will not help with your height issue. I think the only choice you have is a new set of taller springs with less of of height drop. I am not sure if there are spacers available that could help this issue, but I think the new springs are your only choice. If the ride height is adjustable with the springs or shocks that you got, that may be an option as well, though I would recommend having a shop take care of that for you.

jituji70

thanks for the advise.

Cwalsh1109 guest

If you had gotten coilover suspension it would be height adjustable but it doesn't seem like that is the case as you bought shocks and springs separately. The springs are what is responsible for the ride height so I would suggest different springs with a less aggressive drop. If for some reason you don't want to do that you could always as the local dealer if they could provide you with some shipping spacers (lol) but I think that would make for much harsher ride. Good Luck.