Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z4M roadster Squealing brakes

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by eagle60, Jan 16, 2009.

eagle60

My 2007 Z4M roadster brakes squeal at the very end of a stop or just as the car stops. The dealer sanded the pads and said they were glazed over and if it happened again to brake hard a few times and that should take care of it. Well the squeal returned in a couple of days and I have done what the dealer said. That seems to stop it for a few days and then it is squeeling again. The car has 8k miles on it and this started about 500 miles ago. Anybody have any suggestion for a longer term fix?

M3Driver guest

I'm thinking your car has the cross-drilled performance brake package like mine? If so, I understand brake noise is part of the joys (but they sure do stop!). However mine are generally quite until the wheels get dirty. I'm sure you know how dusty BMW brakes are. After a good wheel cleaning they are typically quiet again. They actually have to get very dirty to get noisy though.

eagle60

Maybe that is the answer. My brakes are cross-drilled. I clean my wheels several times a week with a micro fiber cloth, but that does not clean the rotors. Do you clean your wheels by washing them, hence rinsing the rotors in the process?
    They are great brakes on a great car.....

1996 328ti guest

I'll never understand why people think cross drilled stop faster, but if that is what you want to believe, go ahead.

Cleaning rotors? What is there to clean?

You might want to file down the edges of your pads where the meet the rotors and use some shims with some anti-squeal goop.

If you are cleaning your wheels that often, I'd consider different brake pads.

eagle60

I'v never thought that cross-drilled brakes stopped faster, though I have heard that cross-drilled cool faster. The pads are what came on the car. I have always had brake dust problems with BMW's (5) and I have always cleaned the wheels several times a week, but I do keep my cars very clean. I will try your suggestion.
    Thanks for your reply

330indy1

they ARE great brakes. They impress me as much as the S54 (engine)

M3Driver guest

No, I just clean the wheels with Griott's Wheel Cleaner and in the process some of the overspray gets on the rotors/caliper. Seems to take care of any noise (until they get dirty again).