Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

OK, still a problem here too...

Discussion in 'E85/E86 Z4 M roadster/coupe (2006-2008)' started by bey, Mar 17, 2008.

bey guest

... the E85 is the roadster and E86 is the coupe. Don't forget the ragtop folks :)
    Cheers!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Yeah! Ragtops rool, dood!

I was wondering what the "E86" was all about---thanks for the clarification! At the rate they're selling---not!---they should be a sub-cult of a sub-cult of a sub-cult. . . .

But they do outhandle just about any other BMW out there. That must be why Roundel motorsports editor Brian S. Morgan bought hisself a coupe---but his has the N52 engine, not the S54. MBAH ha ha haaaa!

Still, except for the X3, the Z4 is the last refuge of the "real" N52 in America (detuned versions power the 128i, 328i, 528i, etc.)---just as the MZ4 is the final home of the S54.:D

330indy1

Is that really you, Satch?

So, truth be told, as I have watched the new-gen sixes come down the pike as turbos, I ended up buying a z4M-R for that very reason. I wanted the last great NA six from an era of 'dipstick-included'. :rolleyes: There's a joke there, somewhere....
    I drove an N52 3.0si, and it did have some grunt to it. But when I drove the M, I was done.
    Not to mention it was an insane deal.... that otherwise made the M Roadster purchase out of the question (with my loving wife). Sorry, couldn't/can't spring 55k++ for a 'toy car'. Especially with an 11 month daughter now. Now if you're talkin' middle 40k range? well that is a different story. There are a few remaining 2006 models out there never titled at dealerships with hefty incentive dollars behind them not to mention they're sucking up their cash flow.
    Found the 'one'.... Silver Grey, Black Leather, Aluminim Trim. I sold the deal to Mrs. and it flew. I am thrilled to have it!

bey guest

Hi Satch!

I love your sub-cult of a sub-cult reference :rolleyes:

Speaking of sub-cults, my previous M was a S54 powered Z3 M-coupe. I believe that was the model one of the car mags (not Roundel) described as looking like the result of an unholy union between a sausage and a packing crate. (LOL) I withstood the good natured jabs about driving a "clown shoe" or "elf hearse"... in fact I loved "Darth Vader" very much, but the deals on the Z4Ms were excellent and the roadster offered unlimited headroom. The suspension, brakes, differential, and transmission are all superior too.

I have to say the forums here have a lot of potential. It is nice to see regular contributors to the Roundel, like Satch and Bill Howard, drop in and talk cars. I plan to do a write-up in the Tidewater Chapter Newsletter "Das Kummet" encouraging members to sign up for the discussion forums. I think this is better than other BMW internet forums because it relates directly to our club's activities. I also think it will be easier to keep trolls and spammers at bay.

Attached Files:

feldspar

To 290064 -
    I recently sold (due to bigger mortgage), what I initially thought was the "only" BWM I could ever really love - 2006 M3 Competition Package. But, a few weeks ago I drove one of the 2006's Z4M Roadsters that you were commenting about. Now, that car made the poor M3 feel rather slow, porky, stiff, and unfriendly in comparison. I was absolutely amazed at the real road feel the Z4 M-R is capable of. This car is the definition of "FUN"! I really want to hear how you are enjoying yours. They may not be the most practical of cars - but, in reality - my M3 had 4 passengers in it for an extended trip only once. Most of the time it was only me in the car.

330indy1

feldspar >>

investing in a BMW is kinda like getting into the market right at the precise time you bank on (and hope to be) as being optimum. You don't know for sure though until later as things play out.... BMW is constantly improving itself year to year, as we all know. But I think that this may be a critical time to push the button for a legendary engine (S54)/chassis combo in the M-R. I am taking it out tomorrow because the weather in Indy will break into the 50s finally, and that cool air is the ticket for some real fun... albeit with the top up :)
    I would heartily encourage you to go for it, as others did that for me at Roadfly forums. I always had my eye out for an M3 but as you said, the car is not to transport others but for me to run my 'errands' s o l o , or go on a date night with Mrs.
    Two seats are plenty. What has struck me in driving around (I have only put ~ 50 miles on it so far) is it brings out the Mr. Hyde in me. When I take it around curves and round-abouts I want to swing the tail out. Maybe it is the really cool driver's position over the rear wheels which is a new experience entirely, or the ride and power, but it makes my heart rate leap when I drive this thing.
    By the way, the engine and chassis are phenomenal.... but the brakes! w o w. Instant on. I mean, you touch them, and you stop right now. They are serious. You know this because you've driven it. In summary I would say the car surprises me every time I drive it, as I discover its capability.
    ...in a word, scary
    (in a good way)

Znod guest

Saying Hi to Those Here

So, hi: :D

My wife and I just returned our leased 2005 X5 4.4i and 2005 545i (actually this one goes back by 6/22). Our new rides are in my sig--ignoring the "old" car. She's taken delivery on the 335i. Pics here. I am likely to get the M-R by the end of the month.

I drove an M-R CPO before buying. I am used to my Z06. My street-start Z06 procedure is no extra revs; no wheel spin (i.e., it has drag radials); and go like crazy. I had a little trouble street launching the M-R because of the relatively low torque below 2.5k. I tried 2.5k and still got a bit of a lug (not much though). I didn't turn DTC off, but I am very confident the effect was not produced by engine management.

Any suggestions? As of now, I am thinking of going with the Dinan 3.91 LSD.

Here is a pic of my M-R in the mid 50's. The Imola red one in the front is mine. :D

Znod guest

My M Roadster Has Finally Landed

My M Roadster has finally landed. Here are the pics. I have been enjoying it for two days, but now I'll be out of town for six days. I liked the car so much that I went back to BMW today (day two) and changed my lease from two to three years.:eek:::):D

330indy1

lease?????

BUY THAT SUCKER!

;)

Znod guest

Thinking very seriously about it at the end of three years. The current one may be the last of the M Roadsters. But, I'll know more about it at the end of three years. Thanks for the reply.