Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Angel Eyes only work w/ Headlights on?!

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by lugnut, Oct 7, 2008.

lugnut guest

My friend just bought a 328xi loaded up with everything. He has the Xenon lights, and he has Angel Eyes, however with his lights switched "off" and his DRLs on, the Angel Eyes do not illuminate at all. Rather, his DRL's seem to be a low beam. When he turns his headlights on, then his Angel Eyes also come on. The onyl way he can have only his Angel eyes on is if he sets his switch to his parking lights.

Anyone have any ideas? He has idrive so he can turn his DRLs on and off through that.

granthr

Not quite sure, but my understanding is that in Europe the angeleyes ARE the parking lights. So here in the states the angeleyes are also the parking lights but we also have to have the amber turn signal light up due to US DOT laws. So in short if you want the angeleyes on (regardless of the DRLS) you have to have either the parking or headlights on. You cannot just have the angeleyes on.

If it was my car, I would put a little piece of electrical tape on the turn signal bulb contact so that the amber light would not illuminate in parking light mode. Just be sure to put it on the correct one, other wise you won't have a turn signal! If you look at the bulb there are two contacts, with a volt meter you can pretty quickly figure out which one, or just do trial and error.

GR

mlweaver

Strange ... I just checked my car. With the headlight switch set to "off" and the DRL's set to "on" (through the iDrive menu) both of the halo rings are lit. With the headllight switch set to "auto" I still have both halo rings lit plus a low beam headlamp. This car is a 2008 335Xi with the "apadtive xenon" headlights option.

Is your friend's car Canadian?

lugnut guest

His car is a US spec car, purchased in NJ. What is strange is that I am hearing that e90s essentially operate this way with the halos not the DRLs, while the e92/e93 uses the halos as DRLs.

mlweaver

sedan differs from coupe ... interesting ...
    You just can't pin down those wacky Bavarians!

David1

On coupes the DRl's are the rings the sedans for 09 now use the rings.