Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 330i valve cover gasket

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by kol2upt3d, Aug 20, 2008.

kol2upt3d guest

Hey all...

Looking for someone to give me a quick, easy to understand DIY course on replacing the leaky valve cover gasket on my 2002 E46 330i.

Any help greatly appreciated :):):):)
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Not to be a smart-a$$, but

Remove oil cap
    Remove plastic cover over coil packs
    Remove plastic cover over injectors
    Remove lid for cabin filter
    remove cabin filter
    remove rubber trim from cabin filter cowl
    remove cowl for cabin filter (you will see the screws for it when you remove the filter)
    unplug coil pack wires
    remove coil packs and clean out any oil in spark plug wells
    remove valve cover
    carefully remove old gasket and clean all sealant from cover and head
    installation is reverse of removal

To me, it is a simple process, but I am a mechanic. If you can get your hands the Bentley repair manual, you should get one if you plan on doing any work on your car. Very good manuals, very complete, and I have only found a few mistakes in all the ones I have used.
    Good luck.

kol2upt3d guest

Thanks alot, Paul..

Ordered my Bently manual 5 minutes ago!! lol

Doesnt seem too hard... I replaced the head gasket on my old Saab and I am assuming it cant be much more involved than that. :D

mooseheadm5

Waaaaay easier than that. I don't like the Saab head gasket job. Too much work on a backwards motor. You should have no problem if you can do that.

kol2upt3d guest

LOL :D

Good to know, good to know...

yeah, that job was a pain, took me 3 days to do :(

mooseheadm5

Took me about 7 or 8 hours of cursing and throwing tools. We would never have done it if the owner was not our biggest patron. Did a GM Saab gasket too. That one was much easier.

Use whatever sealant the manual recommends. Those valve covers are plastic and warp, which is the biggest cause of leakage.

kol2upt3d guest

Yeah I spent about half of those 3 days throwing tools myself, which ultimately ended up with me breaking my hand in anger... sweedish engineering my a$$ :mad: lol

Thank God this is the last thing I have left to fix on the 330 (hopefully)

Just dropped 600 bucks on a new throttle body after my car started throwing EML in my face :(

mooseheadm5

Yup. Have had to do several of those. BMW actually recommends replacing the harness as well, but we have started making that optional to the customer, because I don't see any faults. Do yourself a favor adn check the plug at the electric T-stat. If it looks like it has any coolant crud in it, change the T-stat if you have not done so already. Had a 330i that lost the harness and the t-body due to this, and we just barely saved his DME!

kol2upt3d guest

Thanks for the heads up man, i'll check that out this weekend.