Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

key battery

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by samzarzour, Jul 29, 2008.

samzarzour guest

How does one replace the key battery. I have a 2002 330xi and there does not appear to be a screw or clip that would allow the plastic to be opened for battery replacement. Thank you. Sam
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I am not 100% sure on this, but I think this may be one of those keys that charges when in the ignition. If so, you can't replace the battery. Looking at the parts diagram, I think this is the case. Try using the key in the ignition on a longer trip and see if that works. Otherwise, you need to visit the dealer.

Jeron guest

Agreed. The battery is not replaceable. It charges while in the ignition. I am not certain what position, if any, the ign must be in to charge. I would put a trickle charger on the car battery, put the key in the ign and turn it to ACC and let it sit overnight.

samzarzour guest

thank you-- you are both correct-- the battery is not replaceable for this year and model--- but the key is - for $160.00!!!! -- sam

Jeron guest

160 and they may charge you to link it to the car as well. My wife lost one of hers and we need to replace it but its a hassle. Need the title, a wad of cash and 2 trips to the dealer.

samzarzour guest

Thank you. that is the price I was quoted. Fortunately the spare key still works. I will use that until it dies on me, then decide if I want to pay $160.00 for a key.

Jeron guest

The problem is if you loose your last key the car isn't moving under its own power for a week while the new key ships from Germany.

I really need to get off my butt and order that new key. :)