Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Too sports package or not too sporst package...

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO, Jul 27, 2008.

Autohaus guest

You would save time/labor/$$$ by changing the shocks/struts when you change springs/lowering springs. How many miles on your car? Stock springs/shocks/struts do and will fail after x amount of miles. Also, road conditions you drive day in an day out do take a toll on those parts. Preventative maintenance is key :).

JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO guest

I guess it's pretty obvious, that I'm looking for someone to say "You can lower the springs and not do the struts"...but it's not gonna happen on this forum. Thanks for the advice guys. Damn sports suspension....might as well save my money for when it's time to get the struts done.

slbeemer guest

I have a 2000 528i with a non sports suspension (18" wheels). I am looking to lower my car somewhere between 1" and 1.4" (I know some of the setups are adjustable). My BMW mechanic is telling me it will cost about $2,500 but that seems a little high. My car has 125K miles with original shocks and springs. Probably not too far off before I need to replace them. I want to do it mostly for the looks understanding I will see a difference in the firmness of the ride. The research I have done has lead me to Bilstein shocks and Eibach lowering springs - looks to me like the parts cost is approximately $750. Are these the parts you would recommend also? I have also seen some posts on other forums indicating another option is coilovers - is this something I should consider? What are the tradeoffs between the two approaches? Thanks for any advice on this.......

Autohaus guest

From the pics of your stunning E39, she sits pretty well. You are correct about the $2500 being high. Parts/labor/4 wheel alignment should be $1500 +- $200. On my E28, I have Bavauto springs and Bilstein sport shocks. My E39 was lowered a tad before I got it over a year ago. It is a non sport, just like yours. However, she sits lower than a sport E39. I know very little about coilovers, just that you could adjust the height from the top of the shock towers or by a push of a button inside the car. They are more expensive than the conventional set up (springs/shocks). If you plan on putting your E39 on the track, then getting the coilovers would be the way to go.

Where did you find 18 inchers for your car? I have been trying to upgrade my 16 inchers for awhile now on my 2003 530. But I didn't think I should go any higher than 17s...

Wheel size? E39

How big can I go with wheels on my bimmer before the ride gets too harsh?

slbeemer guest

I went from 16" to 18" replica M-Parallels from a company called OE Wheels. Ordered them off the internet - relatively inexpensive compared to OEMs. I think they were $130 or so per wheel......

How do they ride? Are they staggered or the same size all around?

slbeemer guest

They are not staggard. The ride is more firm but the handling is noticeably better.

suss1173

Sports package is a MUST.... Even if you not into peformance its still a MUST....

slbeemer guest

I just scheduled my car for the shop. I am having Bilstein shocks and Eibach sport lowering springs installed all around. This should give me the look I want and the handling that I am looking forward to....

I hear you man. My first bimmer, so hopefully with my next one I get the sports package! 2 more years with this one then it's off to the next. This time with the sports package, I won't make the same mistake twice. Now it's off to the club tonight. Time to saddle up and throw em back!
    -T

erapilot guest

I just bought a 2001 540i Sport

and purely by accident, it had the Sport package. This is my first BMW and I didn't know what it was. I was like a pig looking at a wristwatch. I have to tell you though, the thing drives and handles like nobodies business. As with most things, it will probably cost a pretty penny to convert, but the ride and handling, YOOWEEE!

Gaines72tii guest

do you have instructions that you can post for replacing the struts?

Thanks,
    Gaines

suss1173

If you dont get the instructions, try posting on bimmerboards, or bimmerfest.

Dmarque

Totally agree. I just replace my 5 speed 528i Sport with a TRUE...540i M-Sport w/ 6speed. Difference was incredible....oh sure the extra power was a huge factor but just focusing on the suspension I felt that I FINALLY had the suspension I had always dreamed of. I've been driving 5 series Bimmers for 26 years now and THIS M-Sport was the first to offer a suspension worthy of being called BMW. I think the standard suspension in the BMW 5 Series is much too soft. It feels like your flying in the air when you hit a shallow road impression....with the M-Spor the car hugs and the control is substantially improved. YOUR comments were dead on and much appreciated. I think that until you've driven one of the performance 5 Series....An M-Sport or an M-3 or M-5 you have no basis for knowing the level of control that can be achieved in a BMW. I hope EVERYONE will at least test drive an M car to find out what a proper suspension really feels like.

Regards,

Dmarque

Dmarque

Test Drive an M for insight to proper suspension.

ITotally agree with you. I just replaced my 5 speed 528i Sport with a TRUE...540i M-Sport w/ 6speed. The difference was just incredible....Oh sure the extra power was a huge factor but just focusing on the suspension I felt that I FINALLY had the suspension I had always dreamed of.

I've been driving 5 series Bimmers for 26 years now and THIS M-Sport was the first with a suspension worthy of being called BMW. WHile I appreciate all BMWs I do think the standard suspension in the BMW 5 Series is much too soft. It feels like your flying in the air when you hit a shallow road impression and too much play in a hard turn....However, with the M-Sport the car hugs like glue and the control is substantially better. YOUR comments were dead on and much appreciated. I think that until a driver has driven one of the performance series BMWs....An M-Sport or an M-3 or M-5 you have no basis for knowing the level of control that can be achieved in a BMW. I hope EVERYONE will at least test drive an M car to find out what a proper suspension really feels like.

Regards,

Dmarque

Satch SoSoCalifortified

To Sport or Not To Sport

Remember, too, that all suspension mods are not equal. I personally hated the ride and feel of the E46 M3---I SAID PERSONALLY! PUT THAT DOWN THIS INSTANT!---because it was so harsh. I must say that I was dumbfounded when I drove Steve Dinan's S2 M3 because it was LESS harsh than OEM! Handled, of course, incredibly well---but a lot of that is attributable to wheels and tires as well as shocks, springs, and sway bars.

As for tire compliance, it is somewhat related to wheel size and tire profiles, but I am rather amazed that the 19" Dunlops I have on the M roadster are amazingly compliant. Of course, I am used to the hard-as-rocks run-flats on the 335i that occupies Her Half of the Garage, but still. . . .

Of course, Dinan suspensions require deep, DEEP pockets, so it has to be an investment in a car you intend to keep for a while. You can put handles on mine and busy me in it when I die!

rholmes1068 guest

I know this topic has been beat to death, but I'm trying to make a final decision on a setup. As a former 98 528 sport owner and now an 03 530 sport, I know what I'm looking for in terms of what I want my vehicle to feel like. When I picked up the 530 sport a few months back it didn't feel quite right. I think the shocks are just worn as there is much more bounce and not nearly as precise handling, so I'm at least going to replace the shocks/struts. My dilemma is whether or not I should stick with OEM since I already have the sport springs, or I've been considering bilstein sports shocks/struts with H&R sport springs. Has anyone had experience with both oem and this setup or something simlar? Is it worth springing for the springs and replacing the whole setup?

Thanks guys

I appreciate all the answers guys!!! Thanks. I'm gonna stick with my non-sports 530i. I love the way it handles still regardless. I have driven the 2009 M3...ridiculous!!! Also drove the X6, and 335i coupe. ALL SICK! But I love my '03 530i. Until the extended warranty runs out of course...then I gotta trade her in!!

T