Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

iDrive V7 or V7 "lite"?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by bernadine, Jun 26, 2020.

bernadine

I picked up my 2020 X4 M40i (equipped with the driver assistance packages). I traded in a three+ year old Audi S4 also with the driver assistance package. During the delivery experience with an excellent BMW genius, I asked about Traffic Sign Recognition, Adaptive Cruise Control and Navigation. During the time period it took for my build, I studied the owner's manual (the generic one) that is on line and multiple YouTube videos. The videos offered "how to" set up features of the iDrive V7 release -- which my X4 was being built with.

The feature I was expecting was one I have been using and enjoying with my S4 for three years. That feature is the ability to link Traffic Sign Recognition to ACC (and to Navigation). When this feature is enabled, the vehicle will set the speed limit to the last traffic sign the system saw OR to a known speed based on the GPS coordinates. It works beautifully on the Audi and prevents speeding tickets in school zones like a champ. YouTube videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soMZ0zwXKfo indicate V7 has this feature. But when I try to follow the step by step instructions, I get to a certain point and there are no menu selections that match the video.

I have to assume since I have everything (hardware) that the video indicates, there is a software "issue" it is as if there is a "feature disabled" version that must be incorporated in "lesser" BMWs like the X4. It is frustrating that a vehicle with an MSRP of $72,000 USD would be a "lesser" BMW. Where can I get the software or how can I simply turn on the features?

When I first got my S4, I had the same issue with another ACC feature which always defaulted the following distance to "far" -- the dealer reprogrammed the feature to "stick" my selection from the last time I set it. They told me the feature was always there, just disabled in my version.

Does BMW have this kind of practice, so that I could get what I thought I was buying based on the online videos?

charlson89

I will have to look into this to be sure but I believe the US didn’t get this feature yet. You are correct it is a coding/software not enabling this feature even if you have all the hardware. I have seen this mentioned in a couple other forums.