Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Internal Engine Failure

Discussion in 'E60 M5 (2006-present)' started by skushner, Dec 6, 2019.

skushner

I have a 2014 M5, bought in 2016 off lease with 36,000 miles. Dealer CPO'ed it and bought extended warranty. Have 53,000 miles on it. Drove 175 miles round trip Wednesday, no problem. Thanksgiving morning, crazy knocking sound, brought it to dealership on Friday and told internal engine failure, engine and turbochargers need to be replaced. WTF? Fix is $46,000, warranty only covers $40,000 (NADA value of car), if they cover it at all. Dealer is tearing it apart in response to warranty company's many requests for more information. So far, no explanation for failure, except that bearing may have gotten stuck and snapped connecting rod, whatever that means. Car properly maintained. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, information about anything happening, or possibility of BMW stepping in?

charlson89

I have not seen any S63 internal failures yet. Would have to do a tear down to figure out what went wrong.

skushner

Most recent word from dealer is that a "bearing got stuck" and "snapped a connecting rod". Everything was internally lubricated, and they, at present, have no idea what the cause could be.

charlson89

Hard to believe there is no trace of heat marking from lack of lubrication. That is normally what causes a bearing to spin. I have seen cracking on other engines that has caused bearing to become oil starved.

skushner

As of last night, the BMW dealership concluded that cylinder #8 bearing spun out and ruined the crankshaft of the engine. As a result of the bearing failure, the engine seized.

No lack of lubrication. Dealer found car well maintained and engine was properly lubricated throughout.

Since extended warranty won’t cover full extent of repair, still hoping BMW will step with an explanation and assist on the fix.

skushner

BMW has confirmed that it is picking up the difference. Brand new engine and turbochargers being installed at no cost to me. BMW did the right thing, without any argument or pushback.

charlson89

Nice glad to hear it was taken care of.