Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E30 Cabrio top problem

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by jch325, Jul 14, 2008.

jch325 guest

I'm having my third problem with my "93 convertible top not wanting to co-operate.* The 1st problem had me replacing the large motor, the second was the smaller motor.*I'm hoping this time is just cable adjustment.* I'd prefer to do it myself but can't seem to find a step by step manual to see if I should even attempt an adjustment. :confused:

bmwstepinstructor guest

I would love to help, but what problem are you having with your top? E36 = 1992 - 1999; E30 = 1984 - 1991

jch325 guest

seems that the car top cover and the canvas top are out of sync and order. doesn't seem like any linkage is bent. That happened to me the first event years ago.

bmwstepinstructor guest

I am still alittle confused about several issues. Do your have a E30 or E36, see above? What do you mean by the "top cover and the canvas top are out of sync"? What happens when you operate the top? I would like a detail description from beginning to end of the operating process. Hard to imagine your exact problem and/or help without the details. Details, details, details

az3579

Look at his title; he's got an E30.

jch325 guest

it's a '93 E30. Canvas top and lid deck are operating at different stages. Haven't had the time to investigate more and didn't want to bend any linkage like I did the first go around when the large motor decided to split (literally). Found a good article at www.e30ic.com/powertop.htm that might explain what happened to me. I have on occasion started/stopped the power so the canvas and linkage would clear the deck lid.

162807 guest

Late E30s

All 1993 model year convertibles were e30s, all of where were 325i 5-speeds. Not as many made as previous model years. In the tenth character of their VIN, they had P, which indicates a 1993 model year car. Most of them had a manufacture date in late 1992.

Keith
    www.e30ic.com