Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

iPod compatibility

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by JHurley, Jul 6, 2008.

JHurley guest

I have had an old Windows formatted Ipod classic(3 years old) working perfectly with my 6fl in my '08 335i. We just bought a brand new 160gb Ipod classic, and have formatted it with our mac.

The new ipod won't work with my 6fl. idrive doesn't recognise it.

Is this something where the dealer needs to upgrade my idrive/6fl software or will I need to keep using my old windows formatted ipod?

Jonathan Spira guest

AFAIK, it shouldn't matter how your iPod is formatted. It should work with the 6FL option. That's one of several reasons why the cable configuration is a bit, ahem, clunky; i.e. to ensure support.

As indicated earlier, the only problem I encountered with the iPod Classic was the stuttering. It should play music just fine, regardless of how it's formatted.

JHurley guest

As an update...

Dealer tried my new Mac format Ipod and the old Windows format Ipod. Both didn't work. He then tried his own Mac format Ipod. It too didn't work, so I booked it for a proper service (it was a Saturday and they were closing) and drove home. On the way home I re-plugged in my old Windows format Ipod and it worked again.

Anyway, They ended up having to reprogram the whole car. Took all day. New Ipod works fine... too scared to try to old one again..:)

Jonathan Spira guest

Clearly something was flaky in the software (incidentally, I've had no trouble using Mac formatted iPods via the Y cable).

Glad this has been resolved.