Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

DIY Install for E70 X5...anyone do it?

Discussion in 'E70 X5 (2007-2013)' started by jkarnold84, Jun 30, 2014.

jkarnold84

Looking for input...has anyone done a trailer hitch install on an E70 X5? I want to put one on for some light towing rather than using my gas hog pickup all the time when pulling an ATV or something. I searched and couldn't find a lot of detail. Anyone ever do it? Input? Thanks everyone!

MGarrison

Not me, but ECS sells this, maybe they have some insight. I'm guessing it takes removing rear bumper trim and so on, maybe cutting an opening for the receiver, maybe not. Don't know if the Bentley Manual covers rear bumper removal for your model, but, I'd tend to think so.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E70-X5_xDrive48i-N62_4.8L/Search/SiteSearch/Hitch/ES262789/

OE BMW may be as plug & play as you're likely to find... related items:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E70-X5_xDrive48i-N62_4.8L/Search/SiteSearch/Hitch
    jkarnold84 likes this.

jkarnold84

Thanks, I did check out ECS. My biggest concern is the wiring portion of it.

floydarogers

MGarrison likes this.

charlson89

The bmw kit can be kinda hard since it requires bumper cutting and the wiring has to be installed in the fuse box correctly. Also the module for the kit will need to be programmed to the vehicle.

forbegos34 guest

Can you install one of these aftermarket hitches without going against your lease agreement??

jkarnold84

Mine isn't leased, so that isn't something I was concerned with. I would doubt that you can do that, but you'd have to check with your BMW Center.

hlgilbert

After seeing the kits for $550+ that included the wiring, then adding up my time (a long Saturday) to drop the bumper, etc., then snaking the wires to the appropriate locations, then programming the computer, which I could not do, I had the dealer install it for just over $1,000.