Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Voting & Links?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by MGarrison, Jan 21, 2013.

MGarrison

Maybe I unwrapped the Roundel too fast to remember, but the Jan. Roundel is/was supposed to have voting ballots? Will there be online voting this time?

Under the "Community" section, the "Links" section is only on the (for lack of a better description) textual 'tab' bar - which makes it barely noticeable, considering the other 6 are also redundantly depicted graphically on the page - why not include some more noticeable banner for the links?

Also - I would have expected the links section to at least be the place for a listing of Roundel advertiser's websites/links, as buried as it is. Why no links to or listing of Roundel advertiser's websites? Am I missing something? If a links compilation to advertisers is worth considering, should it be someplace that isn't buried several menus deep?
    • Staff

steven s

Voting.
    Only North Atlantic Region have ballots.
    Pacific Region Vice-president and Treasurer are uncontested.

We do not have voting online. From what I recall it's very expensive for the number of people who actually vote.
    And we still need to provide paper ballots for those who wish to mail them in.

Links
    I agree. It's tough to find the forum from the homepage too.
    I don't care for any of the navigation menus.
    We are looking into a different skin or style that will suit everyone's needs better.

MGarrison

If the site registers the areas most frequently accessed, those are the pages/areas that should be one-click accessible from just about any page, or perhaps the pages most frequently first accessed, anyway. We have a wide variety of content, logical arrangement perhaps necessitates some page & menu nesting, regardless.

I bookmark the forums and then login to access new messages with as few steps & clicks as posible - I'm usually bypassing the home page, which means I may miss news bits or whatever until I get notice or check other areas of the site, or see the news in the forums.
    • Staff

steven s

Once again, I agree. Not much I can do.
    I hope if and when we change the menus we look at our analytics.
    The forum is never going to get popular if people can't find it.
    I hardly ever start on the homepage. It's usually right to the forum.
    When I do need to find something on the website it's a treasure hunt. :)

Page views for the last month

1./index 40,795
    2. /shop 10,221
    3. /login?return_url=http://www.bmwcca.org/index 9,041
    4. /chapterfinder 6,266
    5. /forum/index.php 5,824
    6. /roundel 5,242
    7. /membershipbenefits 4,913
    8. /eventlanding 4,293
    9. /community 4,011
    10. /login

BMWCCA1

You think that's hard, try finding the minutes of the board meetings!

demartin

When I go to community to find the forum - I see it, but was getting an error and it wouldn't let me go to the page. I don't know what I did, perhaps I went from another section on the site as I was trolling around and now I have access to the forum. I am posting for the first time and have lots of feedback to give. :) Improvement suggestions etc. I know it all can't be tackled at once, but at least getting the "forum" link in the top would give people the insight to know that is also "community". Just a thought.
    • Staff

steven s

I haven't been able to find the pattern to reproduce that error but it happens to me to sometimes. I think it has something to do if you were logged in and didn't log out and return to the forum. When I get that error I go back to the homepage to log in.