Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Car Corral Question

Discussion in 'Member Feedback' started by Shorestyle031, Jan 19, 2011.

Shorestyle031 guest

I have been to two BMW car corrals one at lime rock park and the other at new jersey motorsport park, and will be attending the rolex 24 corral next weekend as well. Now every time I go to a race there is always a Porsche corral there, and they always have food and a tent and dealers bring cars. I was just wondering since our membership prices are pretty much the same price why is there not as much of a support in the BMW corral. Now these corral are set up by the local chapters. I am not trying to offend anyone of the leaders in the local chapters, because I am sure they put a lot of time and work to set the corrals up. I was just wondering why BMW is always a small section? For instance in New Jersey we had a very small location maybe for 20 cars and other BMW's had to park in different sections, and at the ALMS lime rock race is was the side of the road on the infield that was one car deep, and BMW is the main sponsor at lime rock. My guess is that Porsche has more road racing support, but i do not know that is why I am asking.

Thanks in advance,
    Robert

CRKrieger

Where do you live, Robert? I ask this because it's club members who get these things going and, if you haven't stepped up to do things like get your chapter behind it or go out and ask the local dealers and BMW NA for their support, it isn't going to happen. Don't depend on someone else to do it if it isn't getting done. Promote it yourself.

Shorestyle031 guest

I live in New Jersey and i go to school in Florida so i have a hard time getting involved with main club function. I went to the three monthly meeting that i could in New Jersey. Thanks for the help though i have some experience in event planning, but i am not sure how to go about the promoting. This is my last semester of college so i will be able to get more involved this coming summer.

CRKrieger

Good to hear; and looking forward to seeing your ideas getting traction. If you're traveling, you just have to kind of hope someone's already done what you want where you're going. I know that our lovely Badger Bimmers' chapter Bimmer Bivouac at Road America is sorely underutilized. In fact, had it not been for 5er Fest taking it over as our 'base of operations' at Oktoberfest, it would have gone unnoticed.

My advice? If there's a BMW 'place' at the track, park there as much as you can. Try to 'collect' other BMW drivers, whether club members or not. Set up your 'paddock' there. Get out the grilles, beer, canopies, or whatever and warmly welcome any other BMW drivers you see*. If you have BMW or club banners or flags, FLY 'EM! Make it into a party whether BMW NA or your local dealer supports it or not. It may be that they'll SEE IT and want to know how to get in on the affair the next time. If so, you've got your foot in the door (or your camel's nose in the tent). I'm starting to get too old to do this stuff, but you're not. Just figure out how to make yourself and your presence into a magnet and the rest will follow.

* Yes; some of them will be stereotypical BMW-driving jerks, but I find the ratio at the track to be substantially better than otherwise. The jerks can be safely ignored. It's their loss, after all ...