Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

AM Reception on 1991 M5

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by jimklass, Sep 16, 2010.

jimklass

I purchased a great 1991 M5 and could be happier except for the poor AM reception. The FM seems Ok
    Any suggestions
    JCK

Pyewacket1

Please don't take this as an insult, but who listens to AM radio any more?

floydarogers

Check the connections for the rear window's antenna that are in the c-pillars. Clean them and re-attach. Also, may need a new in-line amp back there. There are DIY proceedures around on the www.

CRKrieger

Conspiracy theorists and sports fans. :D

Pyewacket1

LOL!!!

I'm going to assume that Jim is an avid sports fan....

And, I hope the solution given by the Floyd fixes his issues. Don't want him to miss an important game!

eam3

Dumb question but are the windows tinted? If so, it could be that the tint is a metallic film which interferes with the antenna's reception.

jimklass

Thanks still an issue

All thanks for the adviose cleaned the connections but no improvement. Will try amp next
    Since the antenna is in the rear window and that isn't tinted do tinted windows still create the problem?

eam3

Not on your case. If they were tinted, it would depend on the film. There is metallic window tint and ceramic, for cars with the antenna in the window you would naturally want ceramic.

My mom learned that the hard way when she tinted the windows on her old E36.