Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Strange engine noise

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by 528eta, Sep 17, 2009.

528eta guest

I have an 88 528e that sometimes makes a noise while accelerating in 1st gear, it sounds like a big rush of air, almost a "whoosh" sound. Could it possibly be a leak in my intake system? Possibly the reason the noise is only there during 1st gear could be that my rpm's are rising faster then any other gear. Any ideas?

az3579

Nope. This is normal; my 325e does the same thing.

528eta guest

weird, i guess i just never noticed it before. thanks

az3579

I didn't notice is either until I got a new muffler installed. Before mine was rusted through and had holes, and was loud enough to not hear much of the little noises, but once that sucker got replaced, I heard a whole new world of normal engine noises that I haven't heard in a long time, this whoosh being one of them!

528eta guest

haha, you know whats funny is that my muffler had fallen off and i didnt have money to replace it until a few months ago. Thats also why i didnt notice

CRKrieger

If you have a leak in your intake system big enough to hear, you won't be doing much in the way of accelerating ...

az3579

It's not a leak. :)

Also, it happens a little in 2nd gear.
    By the time you reach 3rd, the air is rushing by around the car fast enough that you can't hear it (if you have your windows down). You can't hear it even with them up though.

I personally don't care about the sound. I think it makes it sound a little bit more... "mighty". :D