Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

335xd?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by ldamario, Jul 29, 2009.

386530 guest

Hmmmm ?

Pretend like you have four flat tires

- and change them ?

I wonder if BMW Assist would be willing to send someone - twice a year?

EzKal guest

Non RFTs for 335d

I will be receiving my 335d in early December and I live in very, very snowy Central NY. I checked Tire Rack and found that they have several 17" non-RFT snow tires for the 335d (Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin, Continental Pirelli and General). I plan to buy a set of studless or studdable snow tires mounted (with pressure sensors) on wheels before the car is delivered. I am very much interested in learning about your experience with the massive torque in the winter, especially if you live in a smowy area. Cheers.

EzKal guest

Transporting Tires

If you wrap them in clean plastic, you may be able to use the back seat as well. I leave mine at my super-nice-guy mechanic.

pseto

i have a separate set of winter rims/snow tires that I swap with my summer setup. i swap it myself in the garage, but you can easily fit all four in the trunk/back seat.depending on how big the rim is, you may need to put one in the front seat too, but it can be done

matwags

I have a set of tire totes from Tire Rack, that have integrated handles. They are very handy. I can fit 2 tires in the trunk and 2 in the back seat, and cover the seats with blankets. I clean the wheels on the car before removing them, and complete the cleaning job when I get them home prior to storing them.

bigriffi

Been gone for a while. I just put 2 tires in the trunk, and 2 in the backseat, inside 30 gal trash bags.

The 335d is awesome, I love it, and it's just fine with blizzaks. I have not had to start in 2nd gear, it works just fine, even in the last 5+ inch snow we had. I did hit the DTC button which turns off DSC, and does some sort of simulated limited slip, and can wag the tail a little bit, kind of fun.

Alighieri guest

Adding the extra weight to the d with the xDrive system won't do the car any favors, I don't think. Additionally, because the transmission and suspension system (and the exhaust system, which is something that needs to be worked around, as well) is already different than the other 3's, it poses a unique challenge in itself to implement such a system.

Honestly, I think they'd have to do a lot of work to make this happen, and I'm not so sure that even in the European market, this would sell.

End of the day, I'd rather add a LSD. I think you'd see a lot more benefit with that. :)

az3579

I'm sorry to go off topic here, but what on earth is that in your avatar? That car is beautiful!
    That isn't the next 3 series, is it? :eek:

Alighieri guest

SamAdams guest

Bmw 335d

[I was in to the BMW dealer last week for routine maintainence and a fellow was there with a BMW SUV diesel. The urea solution that injects into the exhaust is supposed to last 15k miles. His was empty at 1700 mi and the dealer charged him $50 to refill it. The 4 year full maintainence doesn't cover unscheduled maintainence. There is no way I would buy a BMW diesel.

Jimbo

SamAdams guest

BMW Diesel

[I was in to the BMW dealer last week for routine maintainence and a fellow was there with a BMW SUV diesel. The urea solution that injects into the exhaust is supposed to last 15k miles. His was empty at 1700 mi and the dealer charged him $50 to refill it. The 4 year full maintainence doesn't cover unscheduled maintainence. There is no way I would buy a BMW diesel.

Jimbo

SamAdams guest

BMW Diesel

I have tried to reply to this here and it keeps getting posted all over. I am sorry but this board operates strangely to me.

I was in to the BMW dealer last week for routine maintainence and a fellow was there with a BMW SUV diesel. The urea solution that injects into the exhaust is supposed to last 15k miles. His was empty at 1700 mi and the dealer charged him $50 to refill it. The 4 year full maintainence doesn't cover unscheduled maintainence. There is no way I would buy a BMW diesel.

Jimbo

granthr

I don't think it would take much to fool the ECU into thinking it had a full tank of urea. Just find the tank and hot wire the sensor either open or closed. I am guessing this will be happen soon if it hasn't already. :D

Alighieri guest

This is a bit of a knee jerk reaction. Yes, it's supposed to last 15k miles (a refill should be due right around the same time they schedule the oil changes), but like other maintenances on the car, it's based on driving habits. The car makes adjustments based on how hard (or not) you drive it. This guy is a serious exception to the rule, as with the other forums I frequent, that's the first time I've seen it that soon (although, the X5 35d seems to be more Urea hungry than its sedan counterpart).

I have over 6,000 miles on mine, and no hint of needing a refill yet. Do not discount this car simply because you saw one guy having an early refill for whatever reason.

cwbiii guest

335xd

I was curious as well so started to snoop into the specs.
    If you look carefully at the technical specs for the 335xi vs 335d you will see some notable differences.

The 335d is available with one transmission only and the suspension system elements are aluminum vs steel in the 335xi. I suspect that those differences alone
    not to mention the extra drive line elements create a serious engineering challenge.

somewhat off topic:

The d is an animal.
    I love its acceleration at any speed... and fuel mileage doesn't appear too shabby as
    well... for just a bit over 500 miles since I brought it home.

The only downer is the branch that fell on it in my driveway in the last windy snowstorm ... barely had it a week. I'm still waiting for the insurance estimate.

Chuck