Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wax for Black Paint

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by wretched, Mar 6, 2009.

wretched

When I bought my car the dealer had it os so shined up! Now that I have had it awhile the chips are filling in with white wax leftovers! Is there a dye I can mix in with my wax or would my best bet be Zymol carbon? I would like a high quality wax but that can also hide chips as in wont turn white and make it look like I drove thru white paint! The car just looks so sand blasted with the white fill in. Oh what about a paint sealant? I tend to use Griots a lot and also zymol. I would prefer to stay with those brands but if not well I can bear it.

Thanks for any tips!

BMWtoyz guest

I used Zymol Carbon on my black 750iL and never got the white residue in the chips. I use Zymol Z3 Glaze on my Cosmos Black roadster with no residue either. I have used Zymol products on all my BMW's, all 6, never a complaint.

wretched

I had a feeling that would be my best bet. So it does not dry white? Where do you order yours from?

Thanks for the reply!

BMWtoyz guest

wretched

Thanks for the tip! I normally do a small section and then wipe but with the normally zymol wax it still dries white in the chips. I am going to order some carbon! I forgot to ask how many waxes do you get from a 8oz container? Have you ever tried it over a paint sealent does i haze?

John in VA

Wax is used to protect the paint, not color it. Zymol Carbon, Blackfire, and P21s are nice carnauba waxes for dark colored cars, but contain no dyes or chip fillers. You'll need touch-up paint for that!
    If you're using the "Zymol" in the light blue container from Wal-mart, Costco or big-box car parts places, it's time to up your game - that's a lower/different product line.

wretched

The problem is my front end is so sand blasted that it would require a repaint before I could ever fill in all of the chips!

John in VA

You might consider a sealant, like Klasse, that seals, protects, and doesn't leave a white residue.

BMWtoyz guest

The stuff sold at WalMart is not Carbon, it is Zymol's cheap "over the counter" polish. While Carbon contains no fillers or dye it is designed for dark colored cars. I agree, do not use it to fill or fix rock chips. I recently had both my front and rear bumpers repainted, they look knice now!

wretched

What kind of repair shop did your paint work? I am assuming it wasn't a Macco. Any tips on picking a shop? what brand too look or or something along those lines?

BMWtoyz guest

I had a local shop who the owner of is a CCA member and he drives BMW's himself. They are considered the best in the Seattle area. I would ask around your local chapter, if you have a website post a request for paint shop recommendations. Best of luck. (By the way I removed the bumpers myself and reinstalled them myself, not too difficult on a 98 M roadster)

wretched

Thank You all for your input!

bluewagon

Try Wet Paint go to web site wetpaintglaze.com. look at the 03 blue wagon on the gallery.
    this car is done with wet paint,not washed. Try Drcolorchip.com for your paint chips
    Harry C

odets guest

Also look at the Dr. Colorchip website: http://drcolorchip.com/
    This is a product that actually fills chips with factory-matched paint and then levels the surface (i.e. the filled bits with the surrounding paint). It can be used over very large areas and with a lot of chips without filling in each one separately. I have not used it but have heard very good things about it.

Another observation. I have a 2008 sapphire metallic black 750 and I have never seen such delicate, defect-revealing paint. I am extremely careful in handwashing the car and I use exclusively Meguiar's Cleaner Wax on the Meguiar foam pads and an orbital buffer. I use the "polishing" pad if I need to remove tiny defects and the "finishing" pad if the paint is quite clean and scratch free. I have also had to use clay once in the year I've had the car because of embedded particles. The clay scratched the surface some (even though I used a lot of detail liquid with it.) With this total treatment the paint looks pretty much immaculate. It still acquires stains and spots very easily. This car is three times the work required for a lighter (e.g. silver metallic) car. I also have the feeling that current BMW paint is fairly fragile.

bluewagon

One of the worst things you can do for your Car is to wash It.
    Go to wetpaintglaze.com this is a great product. Read about it Try it you will never wash your car again, My car is the 03 sport wagon in their gallery.
    My email is rodal6@verizon.net Send me your email and i wll send more photos of Dark blue and black BMWs.
    Blue wagon

NASADeac

Wow, Blue wagon, one of the WORST things I can do to my car is wash it? Please elaborate. My old detail guy told me bird doo was eveil to a car finish. Other contaminates didn't do it any good either. Please elaborate.

bluewagon

Car washing

Go to their web site. Read about the product. Try it. Bird dodos wipe off. Brake dust wipes off. After driving in the rain the brake dust on the inside of the wheels does get washed off with simple green a brush. other than that the only water that gets on my car is from rain.
    I do live in west central Florida. We have clean roads, but lots of big birds.
    Blue wagon

93 M5Guy guest

My advice to you toward picking a paint and body shop that would do an appropriat job, would be to ask your local dealer, or better yet, ask the dealer of an even higher car line where they send their customer's cars for paint repair, that would be your best bet, since they would know how the proper processes to take to make sure that the finish is perfect. That was what I did last year when someone backed into my M5

paprmkr guest

i use Adam's Polishes and never had issues with my black car.

venona7

My '06 330i (Sport/Premium package) is Jet Black and the paint is first class. The Atlanta-area dealership I purchased it from must have put swirl marks on it when they detailed it prior to delivery. However, I used Griot's Fine Machine Polish with a random orbital polisher (Griot's orange polishing pad), then finished with Griot's Best of Show wax using their white waxing pad. Using a random orbital polisher is the secret to swirl removal - no doubt about it. It definitely cuts down a time-consuming (but enjoyable) task. A lot of detailing sites give tips on how to properly use a random orbital - try autopia.com