Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E34 wheels on E28?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Autohaus, Mar 2, 2009.

Autohaus guest

You wanna talk turkey, lets talk turkey. How much money :). Also, what is the correct tire size for these wheels?

az3579

Err, Paul -
    These are the 16x7.5 Basketweaves that you're talking about??
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

225/50/16 or 205/55/16
    I just remembered that I may have a real deal for you. I had been saving some vintage BBS 3 piece gold centered rims for my 535is, but my brother would rather use the staggered Dinan M5 wheels with black centers (they look great thank you very much Botond) so I will be selling these. Only problem with them is that they are aged and one needs a new outer lip. These can be repaired by any wheel repair place, and the lips are available online. They are period correct and very expensive (have seen over $1500) in restored condition.
    Not sure how much I want for the M5 wheels. If I sell them, I need different wheels for the ti. I will trade them for 16x7-8 E36/46 wheels that are not 5 spoke or 5 split spoke. No chrome, no chinese crap. I would hesitate to go to 17" wheels on this car because with the M3 suspension, it is already a stiff ride.

BBS 3 piece wheels for $650 -remember one of them must be fixed first, but you won't find a better deal on these

Chromed E38 rims for $300 OBO

az3579

Methinks he's gonna ask for pics next. :)

Autohaus guest

The gold is not for me neither :(. Can you find two E34 535i basketweave 15's for me? Two of them are bent so maybe I should just stick with these wheels. I currently have 205/60's on them. Would going 225/60 on all four be ok w/o fender rolling, etc..?

mooseheadm5

Hmm, double post. Edited out.

mooseheadm5

I dunno about 225s on all 4 without rolling. I know the M5s had rolled front fender lips, and they used 225s from the factory. I know I had clearance issues using 215/60s on the 535is, but that was not my fault (Merchants would not listen to me) and they are taller than stock, and it wasn't a fender clearance issue either. I'll see if I can dredge up a pair of E34 rims that aren't humped. I have one, but not 2, and it is the spare for the 535is. I'll ask around. I'm sure my brother or one of his cohorts can lay thier hands on a pair. Probably best to save wheel money at the moment anyway. You can always upgrade later. BTW Bavarian Auto Recycling has a ton of them. Call them and see what kind of deal they will do shipped (stay away from their ebay listings because they want lik $50 shipping.)

Autohaus guest

I see a ton of them on ebay (Bavarian Auto) but like you said shipping is expen$ive. Both of the wheels hold air but they are noticeable. So I guess I will just keep the correct size on them now (205/60/15), however, maybe I'll go to a 205/55/15 look or a 205/50, or do you think the 50 size won't look right?

mooseheadm5

The correct size for your car is 205/60/15. Any smaller sidewall section with a 205 width on a 15" wheel is wrong. I don't care how it looks. The speedometer will be off by over 4% with 55 series tires and almost 8% with 50 series tires. If you want a shorter sidewall, you need to get larger diameter rims, plain and simple. Go HERE to use a very nice tire size calculator.

az3579

Then why does Tire Rack suggest a 55 sidewall height for any 15" wheel I select?

The way they suggest sizes is as follows:
    14" - 195/60R-15
    15" - 205/55R-15
    16" - 205/50R-15

What makes them wrong in suggesting a 55-sidewall height tire? My speedometer reads the same as it did before with my 14" wheels/tires.

Or does your comment only apply to the E28? If so, what makes the E28 special in that it requires a different sidewall height for almost the same wheel?

mooseheadm5

You don't own an E28. Your tires have a different overall height. The E32/34 have even taller overall tire heights. That is just the way they were designed.

mooseheadm5

I think you mean:
    195/60R-14
    205/55R-15
    205/50R-16

Autohaus guest

I'll stick with the 205/60/15 setup. Now I just need to get my hands on two 15 inch basketweaves.

mooseheadm5

Sorry, none to be had at RRT. They apparently got stuck on a racecar (which, BTW, is the same spelled forward as backward.) Keep looking around. They are not expensive.

Autohaus guest

I see a few of them on ebay. One seller is asking $95 plus shipping for a wheel he/she said is in excellent condition, however, you can tell that it is bent!

mooseheadm5

Keep checking craigslist. ebay charges so much now, people have to charge a fortune. Or the back of the Roundel. Or your local newsletter. Or bimmerforums. Or...

az3579

Oops, my bad.

If I see any for sale I'll give you a shout Chris.

mooseheadm5

Autohaus guest

I am skeptical because the ad says, "might have blemishes, scratches, etc.... I saw that listing two days ago but what if I get the worse of the three :confused:

Autohaus guest