Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

OBC retrofit

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Feb 28, 2009.

az3579

:D

Finally done. No more adventures inside the dash... hopefully not for a looooong time.

granthr

Glad to here you got it done! :D Seems like on projects like this you always redo it a couple of times because of something that isn't working. I know I have done this job too many times on the same car.

So there is a dime where your antenna use to be? What do you do for an antenna?

Just an FYI if you are not going to replace the turn signal stalk, it is possible to remove the gauge cluster without removing the steering wheel. I have done so many times.

For those with airbags it is important to disconnect the battery so the airbag does not go off in your face if you remove the steering wheel. You will need a torex driver to remove the airbag before you remove the steering wheel. I know this because I helped my friend get rid of his airbag wheel on his 91 318is. He put an M3 wheel on it.

az3579

I don't use anything for an antenna. The only time I use the radio in the car is when I have my iPhone connected and I get my music from that.

Even then, it's just easier access to remove the wheel. It takes all of 1 minute to remove the wheel, and that's taking your time (assuming you have a non-airbag wheel).

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I could put that to use when (if) one day I get a pristine later-style E30 in my garage some years down the road. :)