Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Google Maps

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by marco5570, Feb 5, 2009.

marco5570 guest

I've been having problems getting Google Maps sent from my PC received on my 09 328i. The PC says the message was sent successfully to the car and BMW Assist says the message can be seen on their system. I see an envelope symbol on my iDrive display, but when the messages update, I get a "no messages" message. I do get 100% reception of messages from BMW Concierge.
    I've had the car at the local dealer and they say there is nothing wrong. The system is so new they really don't know that much about it, and I've even had the regional tech rep look at the car with no answer.
    I have some questions for all of you.
    Does Google Maps work?
    Do you get 100% of the maps downloaded to the car?
    BMW says you need to have your bluetooth phone in the car because the message comes through the phone. I've been told you don't need the phone, the car has it's own EDGE cellular service. Is that true?

Appreciate any input as the dealer says they have exhausted all of their engineering resources, and I'm trying to build a database to send to BMW to let them know they have a problem.
    Thanks

manny28 guest

I Purchased An 09 528xi , I Started Usin My Info On Google Maps It Was Working Fine Untill Early March I Have Gone To The Dealer 3x This Is Enlightning But No Solution Manny28

krisT guest

How do you get Google Maps in the car? I just purchased an 09 335i coupe. I have the bluetooth, is there another package that you need to get in order to have Google Maps?

manny28 guest

you get google maps on your own pc you can call bmw assist they will walk you through phone # 888-333-6118 manny28

198159 guest

Here's something interesting about this... I've been unable to get ANY directions that I've sent to the car to appear in my 2009 M3 with iDrive.

I began experimenting with browser versions on both Mac and PC's. Here's what works for me:

Opera browser from a Macintosh... works every time.

Here's what won't work for me - ever. Firefox Mac, Safari Mac. IE 8, PC

Very strange, but I can live with it knowing I need to use Opera.

drsam guest

Yes, I use it and it works about 95% of the time.

Also, just a technicality, but Google is probably only sending your car the location address, not any maps.

As to your third question, I don't believe that's the case. I'm fairly certain it works through BMW Assist, which uses the car's own cellular connection and does not rely on having a phone or Bluetooth. I'm surprised BMW would tell you that. In fact, I'm tempted to confirm this right now by turning off the Bluetooth on my phone and trying to send something for the next time I'm in my car today!

I'll also add that new messages don't always show up for me when I first turn on the car, and it takes a few minutes of iDrive doing its thing before the list comes up (BTW, this also applies, for example, to my stored navigation addressbook, which clearly is stored in the car, but appears empty whenever I first start up.)

Overall, your problem really does seem mysterious. Clearly your messaging system is working if you are successfully receiving other BMW Assist concierge messages.

-sm

drsam guest

I've only used it with Safari on a Mac, without any trouble, so your experience may be a more specific scenario...

-sm

marco5570 guest

I've tried Opera, Foxfire, Safari, IE and all give me intermittent results. I'm told BMW is aware of the problem and they are working on a fix. It's been months now. I also understand there is a new iDrive software update, and have asked the SA if this problem is fixed.
    I'd like to hear from any others who are having the problem and what the SA's are saying. Thanks

Jonathan Spira guest

I don't think anyone would imagine that the maps are actually transmitted (the file size would be quite large, incidentally).

Correct. It goes via BMW Assist.