Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

advice on 339cic

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Paul the German, Mar 18, 2008.

Paul the German

i have a 2000 528i manual that i may trade in at a dealer for a cpo 2003 330cic with black sapphire and natural brown interior. it has cold weather, sport, premium, and zenons. it is a automatic with 45k. it has 1 year left on warranty. any advice on owners of this car? is the small trunk space an issue? also the car has 18 wheels. thanks.

330indy1

Nice color combo

but don't you really want a MT 6 speed?
    That would be sweet, and less costly for maintenance down the road....

Paul the German

you are right,i'd rather have a manual tranny? are automatics more expensive to maintain?

mjweimer

An automatic transmission is more expensive to maintain than a manual transmission.

Some dealers will not change the fluid (stating BMW's "lifetime" fill does not require changes) and if they will change it, the price can be in the $500+ range due to the cost of the recommended BMW fluid, filter, gaskets and labor.

An independent shop will have better labor rates but still will need to use the expensive BMW fluid and other parts to do the job correctly.

For more general info see:
    http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/66-15645-136704-1551/ATFCapacity.pdf

Of course BMW also says their manual transmissions have a "lifetime" fill though I have never heard of anyone being turned down at a dealer for this service. A manual trans is much more DIY friendly needing only 2 quarts of fluid, basic metric tools a drain pan and some method for pumping the fluid from the bottle to to do a complete fluid change.

Common wisdom is to change the auto trans fluid at 45k miles and the manual trans at 30k miles. It is all a matter of personal opinion and I happen to agree with these general guidelines for normal vehicle usage.

bfriesen guest

Do dealer's replace the MT fluid under the maintenance package? If not, what is the cost I would be looking at to replace the fluid?

330indy1

Probably not. Best bet is find a reputable indy shop

and have them put Redline in it for you.... MTL (manual tranny lube).

You'll be glad you did. I can't remember what my indy charged me but it was probably well below $100. with labor.

I can't remember the individual service charge.....but I had him do other things as well like:
    • Remove the clutch delay valve
    • Flush the brake and clutch lines with ATE
    • Refill the rear diff with Redline gear oil.

mjweimer

+1 on all the above advise.

Brake fluid service is covered under the BMW maintenance plan and I think the interval is every two years but I may be wrong.

In any event, it would probably be a good idea to start a relationship with an Independent mechanic in your area. They can provide second opinions and become familiar with the car before it runs out of maintenance and warranty.

A good place to look for an Independent wrench in your area is:

http://www.bimrs.org

Paul the German

what does removing the clutch delay valve accomplish? thanks.

mjweimer

330indy1

I concur... it rewards good shifts with precision response and

predictable, repeatable crisp shifts.
    It is a must-have mod for any modern MT car from BMW.

rcryder325 guest

AUTO=SUCKS
    MANUAL=:D

auto adds more to the sticker price and more to maintain, manual is fun and you can control the car in every shift. much more enjoyable driving experience.

carsnoceans

That link is gold! Thanks a lot mate.

Cheers

rcryder325 guest

so did you end up getting the 03 330cic?? Or did you find a manual tranny car?

RussSwift

I have a 2001 330 CIC and I love it. Between the trunk and the rear seat there is plenty of room for luggage and packages, even with the top down. If you want the room of a full size vehicle this is not it, otherwise, if the price is right, go for it. Good luck.

VR, Russ Swift.