Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Need some Brembo help

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by lcjhnsn, Dec 20, 2008.

lcjhnsn

I just bought this Brembo kit on ebay for $85!!!

[IMG]

But it is in need of some refurbishment. Can anyone tell me exactly what model these calipers and rotors are and where I can get some instructions on rebuilding them. At the least, I need pad replacement instructions, rotor to hub alignment procedure, rotor to hub fastener torque and caliper to carrier nut torque.

The rotors are 328mm diameter x 28mm wide with 48 cooling vanes. The calipers are 4 piston with brake line and bleeder both on the back side of the caliper and there is no exterior bridge tube.

Thanks!

alotawatts

• Staff

steven s

Those rotors look like they were hand drilled. :confused:

John in VA

That's old-world craftsmanship, Steven! ;)

lcjhnsn

I've since learned that these are known as Brembo "Family C" calipers which are also called the Lotus Style calipers. Hawk and Pagid replacement pads are available in several compounds from several sources. So, I'm good with pads.

Now the rotors... no, they are not hand drilled. [IMG] The fact that the rotors are pretty much worn out and pretty rusty probably gives the appearance that they are hand drilled.

Brembo indicates that this is their 2C1.6002A kit which is actually intended for the REAR of an e36 M3 or M Roadster. But the rotors do not have a drum surface to accommodate the e-brake and the seller says they came off the front of an M3, hmmmm? So, either the rotors and caliper carriers provided were mixed & matched from a M3 front kit, or the caliper mounting spacing is the same on front & back, or the seller (who I've met at Roadster Homecoming and trust) didn't have accurate information about the previous use of this kit.

Presuming the caliper carrier spacing really works on the front of an M Roadster, I think these will still fulfill my goal of adding some additional stopping power and control by the use of 4 piston vs. OE single piston calipers and improved thermal performance and dimensional stability by use of 2 piece rotors.

In a few months, when things get warm again, I'll pull a wheel off and do some dimensional checking.

So, after all that, I'm still looking for a source of replacement rotor rings, ring to hub mounting hardware and instructions.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Well, the E36 M3 rear caliper would not be the same as the M roadster caliper, and that looks like a front rotor to me. I would use the same caliper to carrier bolt torque as factory and go by standard hardware torque specs for other fasteners if you can't find any info. Maybe you buy the whole rotor, but if not, Brembo would be the place to get new swept surfaces and hardware. You could also try the online race shops. They should be made in such a way that the swept surfaces are parallel to the hub surface just by putting them together (if they are replaceable in that fashion.) Seems like Brembo should be able to help you with all this.
    • Staff

steven s

Are those rotors left and right like M3 rotors?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Well, the hole patterns are directional. Looks like it to me. Are the vents directional, too?
    • Staff

steven s

My guess is you may wear your rears faster now.

lcjhnsn

Yes, the rotors are handed based on the internal cooling vanes.

I'd be curious to hear the rationale for why the rear brakes will wear faster upon the installation of stronger front brakes?

Thanks
    • Staff

steven s

I'm basing my experience from running track pads up front and street pads on the rear. I went through my rear set in a weekend and hardly touched the fronts.

I don't think you are going to reduce your stopping distance because they are 4 pot calipers though. I do think it will translate to a better brake feel. And most of the improvement will be due to fresh fluid and new brake pads. Just MHO.