Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Moosehead: 528eA to 528eM

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by Autohaus, Nov 24, 2008.

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Wanna buy a southern car?

az3579

I do!

Chris, get this in ya head: If a car has spent is life in the Northeast, IT WILL HAVE RUST! Unless it's a garage queen and never driven in snow, IT WILL RUST! If it's a daily driver, IT WILL RUST!!!!!!!!

Autohaus guest

I did manage to look at the rust on my E28 and the worst part is on the rear passenger side wheel well. The rest are just bubbly patches that will eventually get worse. I think I'll take it to my body shop guy near me to get it repaired somewhat. When the 528e was a DD (for about 4 years) surprisingly, it handled better in the snow compared to my 535i.

Johnnye23 guest

Here is a link to a complete parts list and step by step instructions for a 5 speed swap that was done on Brads 528e.Hope this helps .http://www.oo00oo.com/index2.html

mooseheadm5

About the article referenced:
    You don't have to pull the pedal box to do the swap, but if you have it, go for it. You can just add on the clutch pedal and small brake pedal by pulling the long bolt. I have done this before, but you may find pulling the pedal box easier. BTW, if you are putting in a big 6 with an HD clutch, reweld or reinforce the weld from the clutch pedal to the tube. Ask me why one day when I am in a good mood.

Autohaus guest

Wow, its been a year since the last post. I tried the link but it doesn't work :(. B is willing to hold onto his 5-speed gearbox for me if I do the swap eventually. So I know I will need a new driveshaft, flywheel and a third pedal but what else :confused:

az3579

A new engine... S38 perhaps. :rolleyes:

mooseheadm5

You need the shift linkage, shift support, the little bracket that hangs the shift support to the body, master cylinder, slave, hard line, clutch hose, blue hose to go from the reservoir to the master, shift boot and knob, driveshaft with center support bearing, flywheel, clutch pressure plate and disc, throwout bearing, probably a new guibo, and a little bit of wiring for the reverse lights. You don't have to remove the pedal box, just swap the auto brake pedal for the manual brake pedal and clutch pedal. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get the clutch switch for the cruise control interlock along with the bracket. If you can find a manual 5 series you can get everything you need from it, but I suggest finding a manual eta from 85-88, since the earlier car had a different trans and some things may not be compatible.
    I bet there is a FAQ somewhere over at myE28.com.

az3579

My Getrag 260 is coming out and we're thinking of using that for his swap.