Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Lowering an xi?!?!

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Autohaus, Nov 20, 2008.

Autohaus guest

It would probably defeat the purpose of having AWD if its lowered :( though I can't stand the fender gap on the front of the 03 xi. I though about getting the Bavauto kit for around $650 which includes sport shocks and Bavauto springs. My E28 has this same setup and it sits great, not the "slammed to the ground" look. My previous E34 535i also had this same setup and it did look "slammed to the ground". Will doing this conversion slam the E46 which I don't really want to do or give it the sport set up as a 325/330? Also, will a rear and/or front camber kit be necessary or will a 4-wheel alignment fix any negative camber?

GregS_WI guest

Should be OK

I wouldn't say lowering the car would totally defeat the purpose of AWD. AWD lets all four wheels provide 'go' traction, that wouldn't change. Do you live in deep snow? There is where it could hurt you, but the effect would be marginal. I push plenty of snow with my cars (up to mid-bumper height at times, but 'don't try this at home kids') and the #1 factor of whether I will make it (IMHO) is my excellent snow tires (Nokian.)

The e46 X may have different components than standard up in the front. I would be doubly sure any kit you buy is appropriate for the X version.

Good luck...

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

Autohaus guest

The kit in question is purely for the xi. I guess I will order that kit soon and hope for the best. I don't live in an area where deep snow is a threat all the time. Last year we had two serious snow storms and it didn't get in the way of my front bumper on my 1/2 sport packaged E39. I say 1/2 because I only have the wheels and the suspension. No shadowline trim, no sports seats, no sport steering wheel :(. The xi, however, handled great and my wife and I still drove 30 mph. Funny how people with AWD/FWD/SAV/SUV/SAC/4X4 blew by us and wound up in a ditch :D

granthr

Your xi will look great with the new springs! :D

Four wheel drive only gets you going faster quicker in bad weather! It doesn't help you stop! I think a lot of people don't realize that. :eek: Not to mention the extra mass that a 4x4 carries! :D Sounds like you know how to handle the snow Chris! :cool:

GR

Autohaus guest

The xi will look great after it is lowered and with either 17's or 18's on it AND a ZHP front bumper! Driving in the snow in the E39/E28=scared Chris :(. I hate it. Last year on a Friday it snowed alot while I was at work. I had the E39. They let us leave at 2pm. Took me almost 3 hours to get home (normal weather should be 55 minutes). I was in 2nd gear most of the time doing about 20-25 mph. Lots of cars passed me and got stuck in ditches, crashed into guardrails, etc... No fun going uphill and my rear end (the E39 rear end, not mine) going towards the shoulder. On the Palisades PKWY, there really isn't a shoulder! I managed to steer into the skid to save my bacon. Now in the xi, a different story as I feel comfortable but still I take no chances. I drive slow as a turtle :)

az3579

Snow... ah, nothing my limited slip diff and my right foot can't handle. :D

There's a school behind my house and they have a circular "driveway" of sorts where the buses and cars drop off / pick up kids. When it snows, it's deserted... guess what that means! Rally time baby!

Why are you so worried about the camber?

Autohaus guest

Because I don't want the added expen$e :p. My 535i needed a rear camber kit and it was the equivalent of a one month E60 M5 lease payment (parts+labor) :(

bradley01 guest

Chris,

I would also look into Eibach springs or H&R springs. From what I have read (and I have read a lot because I want to do the same thing to my Xi) these spring sets are a great addition to the xi and are a direct replacement. I would definately recommend getting the Bilstein shocks/struts that they recomment buying. The difference in ride height will make a difference in where the stock struts/shocks ride at, so they will more than likely wear out faster. I have read where some people have kept their stock shocks/struts for a while, but only for the reason that they were relatively new...and THEN after they wore out replaced them with Bilstein ones. No harm, no foul. Either way. I am considering the drop myself. Not that expensive!

BTW...I am planning on simply adding a lip to my front bumper. It will give it the sporty look I want AND keep the bumper. I like the design of the stock bumper but think it angles in too much at the bottom...making it look like the keel of a boat. New lip is the way to go without spending $1k on a bumper cover + paint!

Cheers,
    Glendon

Autohaus guest

Bilstein sports will be the way to go. I will look into the H&R and Eibach springs as well. A lip would be the cheapest way to give your xi an aggressive look. However, I always wanted the ZHP front bumper ever since we got the xi last year. When do you plan on doing yours (lowered+lip)?

bradley01 guest

Well, i'm waiting on the finances to be in the right place. I am saving for my wedding right now, so I am sure if I bought something like that for my car, my fiance would be mad. I probably won't do it until June or later of next year.