Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Washer Solvent RainX

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by wretched, Nov 17, 2008.

wretched

Does anyone here use rainx washer solvent? It leaves a nice rainx layer on the windshield and the water runs right off on the express way! BUT all of the cars I used it in I didn't care to much about them as in I drive them till they die and buy another "work car". Do or would any of you use it in your BMW? have there been any adverse affects?

Thanks for any help

Damien

az3579

I think I'm running low on washer fluid. I bought some of this RainX fluid a while ago but was waiting for what I had to run out. I will try it out soon and be the test dummy for you.

If it worked on other cars, then I don't know what's stopping you from using it on yours. ;)

granthr

My parents use it in their cars, but I have been reluctant to give it a try. What is holding me back and really my main concern is what will it do to the paint of the car? I just don't want there to be any damage.

It is also a lot more expensive then regular washer fluid. I just wax my windows with the cheap Zymol ($12 a bottle). It does a great job and lasts more than three months. Just like rainX the water just runs right off the windshield. It does not leave any film on the windows.

GR

wretched

The paint is my concern also! On my other car it would wax the paint and the water would bead but it never seemed to affect the paint.

az3579 please let us know your experience! I would assume that it is safe but one never knows... At least with my baby I am extra care full! ( or paranoid?)

az3579

Well from a company like the ones who make RainX, you'd expect them to make a better product. If it would do anything to the paint, they would probably get sued.

I haven't read the labels on it because most of is just the same old crap everyone puts on their labels though.

So, windows can be waxed? I didn't know that... I should probably do that next time.
    I can use any auto wax, right?

CoolToolGuy guest

I used it a few years ago. It absolutely worked as well as applying Rain-X to the glass. BUT - the fluid was an orange color, and it left water spots on the car where the wipers flung it off of the windshield. I had to stop using it because it made the car look bad.

Have Fun,

M3Driver guest

I've used the standard BMW washer solvent concentrate for about 8 years now. I mix it with some filtered water and it works great. I typically joke that it's the cheapest thing you can buy at the dealership.

granthr

Botond, I would imagine you can use any wax. It is really easy and does an amazing job. It cleans all the dirt off the window too. Try it on a side window first to make sure it doesn't leave a residue.

GR

wretched

What about the headlamp washers? Would it be okay to use with that system?

CRKrieger

Been using it for years. Got a boatload of it when it was still pink and a local WallyWorld decided to clearance it for $.75/gallon a few years ago. ;)

I love it and Rain-X. Hardly ever use wipers except in town. In the amounts you will use, it will not harm your paint. Even straight Rain-X won't do much before it evaporates. Both use very mild solvents.

wretched

So you use the rainx windshield solvent normally and you dilute it? Or were you saying the rainx windshield wax if it gets on the paint it evaporates? I am sorry just trying to be clear if you do or do not mix it.

Thank you all for the help so far!