Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z4 storage

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by z4fun, Nov 12, 2008.

z4fun

Z4 Storage - Tires

Should I be concerned with my '06 Z4 3.0si tires flat spotting while stored in MI garage for 5 months? Tire cradles cost $344 for set of 4...good investment?

330indy1

tire cradles are so expensive.
    I put 48 psi in them while the z4 is in storage.

but it always helps to drive on them so they don't sit too long....

also, make sure you have a battery tender...

z4fun

Thanks for the suggestions. Have a BMW trickle charger hooked up...will add tire pressure as advised.

330indy1

a question for BMW CCA techs:

Are run flats susceptible to flat spots? I would think not due to the robust sidewalls.

I do put more pressure in the sport (standard) tires on my M Roadster, but for the other Z's that have run flats, will this have the same positive effect for storage?

kkratoch

I had an '03 Z4 which I let sit from Nov to Mar and never did anything with the tires. All I did was cover the car. I had no problems. YMMV.

z4fun

maybe I'll wait to see if we get a tech response before adding tire pressure...thanks again.

BMWtoyz guest

Run flats will not flat spot to the extend non-run flats will, nor will they handle as well!

BIMMIR guest

I've stored cars for years with no problem. Run flats and not. I have "skateboards" that I put under all 4 tires. With these I can move my car all around and push it into the back of my garage sideways. Really cool. This way I can still fit 2 cars in my 2 car garage, plus one stored.

BMWtoyz guest

Are the "skateboards" the cradle type, dished? If so that is why you do not get flat spots. I cured the garage space problem with a three car garage! 98 M roadster (far left bay), 91 750iL (center bay), 91 318is (far right bay)

BIMMIR guest

BMWtoyz:

You have a very nice garage, and group of cars there my friend! Good for you!
    Yes, my skateboards are the rounded type. I think you're right that this helps flat spotting. they're also great for adding useful space. I've also stored cars without for years, with no problems.
    Another thing that I've done, or heard of is to jack up or roll the car up on pieces of boards large enough that the entire contact area of the tire fits on it. Yes, boards are still hard, but I think it's more about keeping the tires off thecold ground.
    I've got a friend who is a builder who swears by putting squares of the insulating foam boards under the tires. (These are the thick style)
    He cuts out squares and does them a couple deep and lowers the car onto them.

BMWtoyz guest

Thanks for the compliments, I have started putting heavy rubber pads under the tires of the roadster and that seems to help. I wonder if the flat spotting I am getting is because the car has ultra high performance summer only tires on it and the rubber is very soft (makes for poor tread life)?

BIMMIR guest

I bet you're correct about the soft compound. It's probably the opposite of what someone said earlier about run flats being less sensitive due to the stiff hardwalls and compound.

In any event, it sure is fun, isn't it?? It doesn't suck to be us! :)

z4fun

has anyone purchased the "tireCradle" product advertised in the November Roundel?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Flat spots. . . my tires, my head. . .

Flat spots are usually temporary, and seem to have some correlation with how long you let the car sit. In the Olden Days, we used to get "nylon thump" overnight! These days I leave cars sitting, inside or out, for months on end with little or no effect---though sometimes they do have to roll a few miles before the tires are round again!

I also had cheapie wheel caddies back when I (sniff) had a five-car garage (sniffle). Bought 'em from Harbor Freight. They were dished, so that might help, but the main thing was that they were on casters so I could roll the car around the shop.

I think, too, that softer tires probably distort and take a set more easily than hard-compound ones. And adding more air just gives you a small flat spot. If you're truly paranoid, put the car up "on blocks." In the Olden Days, we used actual wooden blocks, but I don't see why jack stands wouldn't work.

By the way, the December issue of Roundel has an article by the Griot's guys on how to prep the car for winter storage, including fuel stabilizers. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but at least you'll know how some people do it!

granthr

+1 for increasing the PSI in the tires. I do that and it minimizes the flat spotting. Usually 10 miles down the road in spring is enough to make the tire rounds again. Although my car is stored in a barn on a wooden floor, so that might help too.

I also use fuel stabilizer. I have had fuel go bad on me in the past and the engine was knocking. So I would suggest it.

GR

z4fun

Thanks to all who responded. Ended up going back to storage site and increasing the tire pressure to 40 psi in each. That, with the trickle charge and a cover will do it until spring. It can't come too soon...it's snowing today!!!