Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Does anyone know anybody in Germany?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by az3579, Aug 13, 2008.

az3579

As some of you know, I'm in the process of buying/shipping 4 15" Euro-basketweaves for my E30. There is a slight problem though.

The seller doesn't accept PayPal, so I have to pay through other means. His accepted forms of payment were cash on pickup and bank transfer.

(purchased from eBay)

eBay tells me that if I do the wire transfer, it would NOT be covered and there is no guarantee that I'll get anything if he decides to take the money and run. He's a really good seller and has sold other BMW parts, but to buyers that were in Germany.

So my question is, if the seller does not agree to the eBay-approved Escrow service, does anybody here know somebody in Germany that can pick them up and I could pay this person to ship the rims? The rims are located in Wuppertal, Germany.

Depending on how far this person would be from the seller, I could pay for the petrol/diesel for them to go there and back. It's a small price to pay for the "insurance". I trust my fellow CCA members so if they can recommend someone to do this, it would be great.

So anybody know anyone? :eek:

Elkoholic

Funny thing...my sister lives in Frankfurt...but she's in the States for a few weeks...sorry, man. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure she'd be up to the task, though, because Frankfurt's still about 230km away from Wuppertal, and she only owns a Vespa...lol. Not the best for transporting wheels, I reckon. :p

Good luck!

granthr

AZ a few years ago I bought 15 inch BBS basket weaves on ebay from a guy in Germany for my 318i. He also did not accept paypal. He did accept a personal check though. I sent it to him and it cleared in less than a week. See if the seller will accept a check. From the time I won the auction till I got my wheels was less than four weeks. They are beautiful wheels too! They will look great on your e30.

GR

granthr

Here are a couple pictures of my E30 with 15' BBS basket weaves.

Elkoholic

Slick ride--the wheels look awesome.
    And might I say, those are some profound fog/driving lamps...

granthr

Yes those are profound fog lights! :cool: I like to see the road at night! I also like the old school look of them. They are Hella 500 fog lights. I am also running Hella H4/H1 headlights with philips vision plus bulbs.

I guess I should mention, H&R springs with Bilstein Sport Shocks, M3 front bushings, 325 brakes all around (including Master cylinder), no drums on this 318i. Startec smoked tail lights, sport seats, M3 steering wheel, BBS/Zender front spoiler, and only 75,000 miles!

At some point I want to put a Metric Mechanic motor in it. I think just the Rally 2200. Will give me 155 hp and 145 lbs ft of torque. Not bad for a car that is less than 2,400 lbs. I like the balance of a 4 cylinder vs a 6. I want it to keep it a nice drivers car, I have an M3 for when I need more HP. :D

GR

Odiekokee

I think I might be able to help

Well, If time is a matter, it may be kinda tight, But! I have a way of making contact with upstanding gentlemen just about anywhere in the world, So let me start checking to see. I've gotten wonderful help from long distances this way before, so, I wouldn't hesitate to trust them myself. So, if that suits you, I'll start trying to make contact. It may be easiest to make a 2 step shipping, having them shipped to me and then I'll send them on to you. I only say that, because of the language issue. (And for anyone confused, I am a Freemason, and there is a lodge in Wuppertal)

Byron
    Ecru, Mississippi

Odiekokee

We're in Luck

The secretary of the lodge in Wuppertal has responded, I quote his email:
    "
    Dear Brother Byron,
    please, let me try to help you an your friend. The best way, I think, is a personally dialogue with the Dealer in Wuppertal. Please let me know: Name and Address from the Dealer, i`ll try to come in contact with him. What your friend would like to buy? I apologise for any mistakes in my language.

Fraternally
    Peter Meinertzhagen
    "
    So, there we have it. I realize that may be tough on your timetable, but that will make it a viable deal if your seller allows local pick up. Just let me know the name and address, and we'll get things rolling. I'd suppose going ahead and taking the bid would be in order as well. :):D:cool: "I love it when a plan comes togather"

One last thing, Anybody involved speak conversational/native German? I'm using Google Translator. Thanks.

bavomil

Shipping expenses will, in all likelihood, be more than the rims themselves.
    I'd look into prepaid shipping at DP/DHL, and send him the bid amount only.
    DP=Deutsche Post. DP and DHL are one and the same in D.
    D=Deutschland.

Over the years I bought a bunch of stuff on ebay.de, but I always pick them up or have them sent to someone there. I shop ebay before I go, then collect the stuff.
    I send the heavy/bulky stuff via DP/DHL to myself. Small package max 2kg E12,90, 20kg E62,90.

I want to add that going thru the PO cuts the customs broker out of the loop in here the usOFa.

az3579

I cannot believe all of these posts went over my radar. I haven't seen any of your posts since my last one! Is the forum system notification thing slacking??

It has all been taken care of. I paid up and am having them ship it here. It's been a week and a day since he shipped it, so I should expect it in another week-and-a-half to two weeks at the most.

Those 15's on your E30 are just plain beautiful. A work of art, if you will. I will keep that picture to keep me drooling till I get my own!

Thanks for the offer, Odiekokee. Just a bit late though, but it's good to know that there are people out there that would be willing to help. I would do what bavomil said, but I have never been to Germany and probably won't be for a long time and I wanted to get me rims while my car is still alive. :)

Summary:

The end result: 526 Euros shipped (just a tid over $800), in flawless condition (here's a link to some pics: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170246018942&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007)

With tires, but had to take them off to ship due to serious weight issues. They were almost bald anyway, so need new tires regardless. (Any dibs for the wheels when/if my car goes to motoring heaven? :p)

Overall a deal that only an enthusiast would pursue. :rolleyes:

granthr

Glad to hear you got everything worked out:D You will truely love these wheels, they really make an E30 look the way it is suppose to!! Enjoy!!

GR

Elkoholic

WHOOOO!!! So happy for you and your purchase!

az3579

I forgot to ask about the pictures that you posted. Is that car lowered in any way? I'm wondering how it will look since I have stock suspension (non-is). :confused:

granthr

Yes, my car is lowered. I have H&R springs on it with Bilstein Sport shocks. BUT, it will still look great with the standard suspension. I had these wheels on my car about two years before I put the H&Rs on. Here is a picture of it with the standard 318i suspension. I have a more close up picture at home. I will try and remember to post that tonight.

GR

az3579

Aww man, now I'm gonna have to get a lowering kit as well! It only looks right with it lowered about 1-1.5"...

:(

granthr

I will agree that the lower kit really sets the car off and makes it look the way it should. But, it still looks good with the standard suspension. Once you do make the plunge for a lowering kit, I would suggest H&R springs with Bilstein Sport shocks. However, it is a very stiff ride, just so you are aware! You can probably put the rear ones on yourself, that would save a little money. Replace the rear shock mounts while you are at it, use the ones from the cabrio. Also get an alignment after you drive the car for a couple hundred miles, after the new springs settle.

GR