Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

gas mileage update, improvement

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by wanesso, Jul 19, 2008.

wanesso

during my break-in period, I was envious of lugnut's description of 19 mpg in his new M3 while I couldn't break 14.3 mpg in mine......now, at 4,500 miles has the engine tuned itself? has my driving style changed? (but driving distinctly faster) as I routinely get 24-29 mpg on the highway (steady 80-90 mph, no cruise control)----anyone else noticed this?

az3579

You sure it wasn't the computer finally averaging correctly? :)

wanesso

mileage

cute.....and you could be right........but still--that's pretty good,eh?

az3579

That's pretty darned good. I average that with a quarter of the actual horsepower. lol

wanesso

mileage

if you all haven't seen it yet, be sure to look up on youtube the mileage competition between the M3 vs the toyota prius......very amusing

CryNoMo guest

Wow! 24-29mpg hwy :eek:

I couldnt pass 16mpg in my 100 mile drive to and from richmond va. cruise at 65-75mph 5th-6th gear w/ 6MT

am I in the /M forum ?

wanesso

....last weekend, a steady 27mph w/ M-drive on, 80mph-----The M stands for magic.....

(yes, I'll make sure they check my computer at the next service.....:cool:)

CryNoMo guest

sorry but over 20mpg I find very hard to believe.

wanesso

not gloating, really....

well crynomo---cry all you like, it's now consistent on the highway 24-29mpg going an average of 80mph with a few miles of 100+mph when safe----might there be a computer error? maybe a tail wind? perhaps ...but it's holding up w/ less frequent filll ups than the first 2500 miles. --let;s see, what is the opposite of a lemon?--a really SaWEET car! :D

CryNoMo guest

I believe this posting was meant for the regular e90/92/93 not the M series e90/92/93
    which we are under. Are you posting a mpg of the new M3?

and if you are I really like to take some driving habit notes.

wanesso

Mmmm

yes sir---I have a 2008 M3
    and I am getting upper 20's mpg regularly, not burning oil----and I cruise at 80-100 mph on the highway--I do drive in barefeet....maybe that's it.:rolleyes:

wanesso

... 2008 M3
    did I mention that I always drive in bare feet?

lugnut guest

Ah. maybe what I need to do is lose the shoes. That should shave off almost 1/2 a pound. I'm averaging about 17mpg now overall.

wanesso

no shoes-no sheet

No doubt....this weekend, headwind brought me back down to 21mpg avg, but maybe it was the shoes I had on this time...........:cool:

lugnut guest

Just a quick note to all....DO NOT BELIEVE YOUR DASH READOUT FOR MPG. These readouts are never your true milage. In all of my vehicles my true milage is much better then whatever is displayed. For example, my M3 (6M) has displayed "16.9"mpg for nearly 2 months. However, if I actually do the math when I refuel I have been getting 20.2mpg over that same time frame. My 2007 Yukon, and my 2007 Saab 9-3 work the same way. They both display mpg numbers significantly lower then what I am actually getting.

wanesso

well then, if that's true I must be actually getting 35mpg barefoot in the M3?? ..just a little humor....and the mpg readout does have the option of on-the-fly instant readout by holding down the button on the left lever, and that is where I see that my mileage is so good (or bad).

kkratoch

I don't have an M3 so maybe your car is different, but holding down the button (on my 330i) merely resets the computer for that value. So it is not truly a instantaneous readout it is just that the time of average is so short that it seems that way.

wanesso

That could be-- it does change value instantly as I change acceleration, hill climbing, "M" power mode engagement--so I assumed it was instant feedback.

kkratoch

When I reset mine it does fluctuate a good bit for the 1st day or two then settles into the average that I am used to.

wanesso

this seems different--I'll check the owner's manuel (always a good last resort...)