Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Z4 run flat choice

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by scottstradley, Mar 19, 2012.

scottstradley

Know it's beating a dead horse, but need tires. Want decent handling, but don't track car so racing grip not needed. Only drive 6-8k/yr, so tread life not driving force. Want decent handling dry/wet, ride quality, and low noise (at least best you can get from RF's lol). Looking at RE050 vs PS2 vs PS A/S. Leaning towards PS A/S.
    Any recommendations from anyone and did I miss a better choice that you'd choose?
    thanks
    Scott

Satch SoSoCalifortified

For run-flats, I'd probably go with the Bridgestones. Certainly nothing all-season. . .

scottstradley

Many thanks to the master!!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Whah! "Master," indeed. I just go on my own subjective impressions, just like everybody else. But I have been on BS run-flats on the race track, a big, long one in northwest Germany, and the new generation felt fine to me. However, at Laguna Seca for the F30 launch, I believe the cars were on Pirelli "ZPs" (for Zero Pressure, I think), and those were fine, too.

If you read the March issue (I think), you'll see that I like RE-11 Bridgestones if you want regular tires...

scottstradley

Subjective yes, but you get to drive many more bmw's and configurations than most, so have variety of comparison experiences.
    Yep, saw your comment in recent Roundel on RE-11's, but want to stay with rf's. Not had many flats, however 2 of 3 I have had shredded before could get safely off the road, and plug/goop wouldn't have worked. Don't want spare in trunk.
    Getting BS's on friday, appreciate the input.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Lord, I hope you like them, then!

scottstradley

Discount Tire said BMWCCA has money back guarantee!! Auto paycheck withdrawal makes it painless, you never know it's gone.

scottstradley

Got RE050A I RF's yesterday. Old RE050's were so worn down it's hard to tell if significant ride quality improvement is due to new tires, new tires reflecting newer technology, or combination of both.
    Either way, have no issue with ride quality of these run flats.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Music to my ears!

scottstradley

I'll go ahead and pay for the tires. Sure would be nice if CCA would send me a check for $125 (plus 6.75% tax) to cover fixing the bent rim from some damn pothole, probably the one in left lane going north right before terminal D at DFW that took a year to get filled in. I'll tout virtues of the club forever...:)....sigh ok, ok. At least buy me a 12 yo scotch when we get together.
    If you're in the market for RF's, the bridgestone's get my vote. Not sure anyone could feel difference between ride quality of them vs non-RF's. Probably better handling tire out there if you track, but I don't. Didn't believe, but hoped, they'd improved the technology for ride quality, this generation far superior to ones I had. And still appears to have traction of the old one (when it had good tread).
    • Staff

steven s

Really?
    Any idea why they said that?
    Don't count on it. :)

scottstradley

I'll settle for getting my Roundel next month!

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Music to my ears, Part II!

scottstradley

Follow up. 5000 miles to date. Ride quality great, can't discern differnce in ride vs non-rf's. Much, much better than last set, which made me question rf vs non. Dry handling very good. It rained today! In Fort Worth that's rare this time of yr. drove into town in heavy rain with significant overflow on road, hit many large puddles on fwy, zero problems. I've had dry performance tires where rain was like driving on ice. These have great balance.
    To those questioning rf or not, give these a shot, I'm very, very happy with them. Going non-rf has limitations, older gen rf's have severe ride quality problems, these don't. At least in my opinion
    Glad I got these, and will only look at rf for next set when these wear out. and no, I'm not on anyone's payroll for tires!

scottstradley

Update after DFW ice storm. Have approx 10k on the tires and still like ride and handling.

Then flew back to town after the ice storm of history. I live about 45 miles from airport on south side of Fort Worth. Drove home on roads of ice. Inches of it. Overpasses were 6-8 inches of rutted, chunky ice. Worst crap ever driven on. Worried the ruts were so deep it'd rip front spoiler off. Couldn't go over 10-15 with bouncing around. Luckily almost no traffic. Then got off on country roads of snow and ice. Shockingly never lost control. Traction light only blinked twice. Performance tires that made it thru the worst stuff ever driven in. And I work in the north weekly and have driven in winters in Midwest, DC, and north east for yrs. this by far the worst.

So I liked the tires for summer, and with the ability to get me home! I'm stunned at overall performance. Thought I'd be calling wife and telling her Z is crunched. Instead sent her pic of it in garage. Home safe!

When new tire time, either same or next gen of Bridgestone. I'm converted for sure.
    Scott

Satch SoSoCalifortified

EXXXXCELLENT!

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

The Bee is rolling on 19" Bridgestone REO-50As. Getting close to 18,000 miles & I'm noticing a lot more tire noise. Spoke to the dealer about the noise, wanted to make sure there wasn't anything serious to worry about.
    Dealer reported no mechanical issues, but I would need to replace the tires to reduce the noise...
    The tires show no visible wear, so is this the dreaded Run Flat Tire experience?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

You get 18,000 miles from a set of tires?!

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

I told you before, I'm keeping this one nice for you. Planning to bring the Bee to the O-Fest this year.
    Should have 24,000 miles on the B'stones by then.