Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

xenon lights

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Hot 540, Oct 21, 2008.

Hot 540 guest

Hey beamer friends.....I havent driven my 1999 540i much at night.....but early this morning i noticed shaking headlights I got up to 80 mph...and i then eased on down under 80 no shake in lights..back up to 80 or more shakes again...what can this be?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

E39 headlight adjusters are known for breaking. You can buy a part from odometergears.com to fix them pretty cheaply. If you can grab the back of the light assembly and easily move it around (you will see the lens move inside) that is likely your problem.

Hot 540 guest

I checked out that web page....listed for 2000-2003...will it fit on 1999 e39

mooseheadm5

I'm not going to swear to it, but I believe it will. Just call him and ask. He is super helpful. His name is Jeff Caplan (IIRC.) I have had nothing but good experiences with his parts.

Hot 540 guest

Ok, thanks I sent an email waiting on response...I have done some research and found that they do in fact make these adjusters in metal...what is your opinion on this?:)...

mooseheadm5

Never seen a metal one, only the plastic. I like metal, but it depends on the price. Jeff's are a different plastic than the original and should last.

Hot 540 guest

Jeron guest

mooseheadm5

Nice bit of kit, that. You have to get them from England, or is that just where you found the pic?

Hot 540 guest

Paul...I dont understand the question...

mooseheadm5

The picture you linked to was from a british website.

Hot 540 guest

Darn...Didnt even notice...ok! I guess it can be done for 67.00 USD and thats just one side...Worth it? . One more thing, Jeff does not have this part for 1999 e39..Hes got it for 2000 and up. Jeff also said i can pick up part at dealer...Im just trying to get something that will last longer.

Jeron guest

The link you posted was to a UK website and company.