Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Xenon Headlight adjustment on 7 Series

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by KERMUDYUN, Jan 15, 2013.

KERMUDYUN

Hi I am new to the online forum. I have been a member of BMWCCA for about 12 years now. I have a 2007 525i, 1991 735iL, 1994 325iC, 2001 MZ3 and 2001 740i.
    Recently I hit a deer on the passenger side of my E38 (Daily Driver with 82000 miles on it).
    Repair was great but the Xenon won't dial up to give adequate lighting on the normal beams. I have tried to dial the horizontal knurled knob to adjust them but the light level won't come up to normal level and oncoming drivers at night do not like me passing them with brights on.
    I can't find anything in the driver's manual about adjustment and there are no other knobs to be found to adjust, as were in my previous (4) 740s.
    My mechanic says that these lights are self adjusting and that the problem might be a sensor on the rack that is failing.
    Can anyone help me with this irritating problem?
    I will be much appreciative!

Dr. Ron Thompson
    Sandlapper Chapter (Upstate SC)

charlson89

You should check the height sensor located on one of the front lower control arms. If that is damaged at all then the lights will stay adjusted no matter how much you manually adjust them.