Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

X5 wiring for hitch question

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by etilfutb, Jan 19, 2018.

etilfutb

Good Morning. My car is 2012 x5d. I have installed the factory tow hitch from ECS (which is really well built.)
    Question on the wiring..do I really have to take it to the dealer (80 miles away) for retrofit coding for all to work?
    I will only need trailer lights, no brakes. The wiring kit is the OEM one from ECS that came with the hitch.
    I also just got a Schwaben scanner but have not found all the features. Perhaps that tool can help.
    Thanks, Brad
    • Technical Service Advisor

charlson89

I am not sure if the brake lights will work without programming but you can try of course. The coding does more than just electric brakes. It also lets the transmission know when to lock out overdrive and if you have air suspension is also raises the ride height when a trailer is hooked up. Also will give the back up camera new features. Not sure if that scanner has coding capability.

etilfutb

Thanks for the advise! I will wire up per instructions and most likely be making a trip to the dealer!