Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

X5 Heater Blower Issues

Discussion in 'E53 X5 (2000-2006)' started by ehackett, Nov 1, 2008.

ehackett guest

I have a 2001 X5. Recently, I have found that the heater blower has been cycling after the engine is off with the ignition key removed - almost ran my battery down the other night. I am aware of the warm engine, heat re-cycle feature, but the manual indicates that the LED should light if this feature is active and this is not happening. Also, the blower does not run consistently in this mode - but instead alternates from fast to slow to off. Function in normal operation seems to be OK.

For now I have pulled the blower fuse to disable it when it is parked for more than a few hours, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with fixing this situation? Is it amenable to a DIY solution, or will it require the dealer? If it has to be a dealer repair - what would be a good ballpark estimate?

Thanks.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

This is a very common issue. Replace the blower final stage located on the passenger side of the heater case under the dash. If you are inexperienced it may take up to an hour. If you have the directions and good pictures, 20 minutes. I can do it in 5, because I have replaced dozens.

ehackett guest

Thanks Paul, very helpful. I assume you can get the part from the dealer - do you know how much it costs? I am inexperienced - what would a dealer estimate for the job - 1 hr?

mooseheadm5

You can get the part from the dealer or any number of online parts discounters like pelican, bavarian autosport, or BMP. They may wish to scan the car, diagnose the problem, etc, taking as much of your money as possible, or they may say, "oh, that one is simple, we do it all the time" and charge you an hour. Depends on your dealer and your relationship with them. Part number should be 64 11 6 923 204 as seen here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=FA53&mospid=47745&btnr=64_1375&hg=64&fg=40
    And the MSRP is $88.16, but there is a CCA discount at the dealer, and many online discounters sell them cheaper (I believe.)

ehackett guest

Paul - thanks so much - you're as good as Mike Miller in Roundel! - you probably just saved me several hundred dollars. I'll give this a shot. Might be worth testing the dealer as you suggest. I had a feeling this would probably be a $400 - $600 repair at my dealer, but it sounds like they should offer to do it for less than $200 - their labor is currently $120/hr.

You wouldn't happen to be in the Washington DC metro area by any chance? I plan on keeping this X5 for a long time and could certainly use someone with your expertise.

Thanks Again,

Ed

mooseheadm5

I am not, but you can take it to my brother James (or anyone) at Road Race Technologies (http://rrtservice.com/) in Dulles and tell him that I diagnosed it for you. Give them a call and they will fix you up.

ehackett guest

Paul, Thanks again. I appreciate all your help.

Ed