Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

X1 Rear Brakes & Exhaust

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by rrulli, Jan 16, 2023.

rrulli

Hello!

I purchased my 2020 X1 CPO last April with about 13,000 miles. It currently has just over 21,000 miles. I love the car. I previously owned a 2005 328i. My X1 is in for routine service at the BMW dealer Friday/today, oil change, etc. I have two questions for your consideration.

First, I have noticed that when backing up I hear a scraping sound from the rear breaks and that there appears to be more break dust accumulation on the rear wheels than the front. I don't hear the sound when braking when moving forward. I hear it when the car is cold and only been siting fora short while. I've never had a car that this was the case and it makes no sense to me. I asked them to look into it and this morning the service rep told me on the phone that the repair tech said this was normal for X1s. He also said the wear on the rear pads was at 5mm and that they will need to be replaced sometime between 3 & 4 mm. My driving is mostly in town and I do not thrash the car around. The pads, rotors and brake fluid where new when I purchased the car as part of the CPO. So the wear is about 8,000 miles.

Second, I noticed when the weather turned cold that when idling exhaust only comes out of the drivers side pipe. There is evidence of exhaust from both pipes with the sooting on both. When I asked bout this, the service tech said that is normal; that a flap opens when driving at additional RPMs. This makes some degree of sense but would feel better about it if someone here could confirm it.

Thanks for your consideration.

Rich