Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wiper blades

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Touring525i4dawgs, Aug 13, 2012.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

I was about to purchase new wiper blades. The Auto Zone store informed me that for my '02 E39 I need to order a special set only available through Bosch. Any comments or advice would be great!

brucembergeron

I suggest buying just the rubber inserts. No need to replace the entire blade. I buy my inserts from BavAuto, part number Part # : 61 61 8 217 711, cost is about $6 per blade.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

Are the inserts easy to replace

brucembergeron

Yes, very easy. They will come longer then your wiper blade so you will have to cut them down. Just make sure you cut the correct end. It will be obvious once you look at both ends.

ramitchell

If you do a Google search, you will find instructions on how to replace the inserts. All you have to do is trim the rubber insert to the length you currently have and insert the thin 'blades' into the rubber and put the wiper into the wiper arm. Before trimming the rubber, make sure you don't trim off the end that is shaped a bit different to hold the locks. When you remove the old wipers and examine them before removing the metal blades, you'll see what I mean.