Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Winter never ends...

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by Mugwumpus, Feb 22, 2010.

Mugwumpus

I acquired my '99 M Roadster (replacing my '00 S4) last Summer and had a blast before putting it away in mid-December as my Suburban ('97, 238K mi) takes over during the Winter here in the Chicago area which lasts forever, or so it seems when you have a roadster stored and the snow and ice show just won't go away. This is the first time I have had to endure storing a favorite motor-toy for the bad weather months (not counting bikes) and I hate it to the point of contemplating relocation (was that Chandler AZ position on Monster or DICE?).

Two questions: best BMW shop in the NW or West Chicago suburbs and where in the world can I get a hard top? Local BMW dealers and even Bavarian Autosport told me I was SOL in trying to get a hard top for my beloved new (to me) M Roadster.

Thanks!

John in VA

Welcome! While it appears the retrofit hardtop is no longer in production, there might be a dealer with one in their inventory, or you might find one offered by its previous owner. Check the club's classifieds as well as the dedicated Z3 forums.

Retrofit kit, hardtop TITANSILBER 354 part # 54-21-0-005-187 list $3,882.00

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=CK93&mospid=48097&hg=54

Mugwumpus

Thanks John, will check out realoem.com. $3882 certainly makes me rethink whether I actually want to acquire a hard top, as I can't exactly rationalize the purchase as a "need" item.

pseto

hey there, nice stable. very similar to mine :)

on occassion you may see one pop up on craigslist for less than $2k, however, it is very rare, maybe check ebay?

i've given up looking for a hard top, so my M Roady stays in the garage for the winter.

tiFreak

I feel your pain, I drive this in the winter: :(

[IMG]

ignore the damage, I was "practicing my oversteer correction" in an icy parking lot and a snowbank ran out in front of me ;)

Mugwumpus

I had watched eBay for some time, but only ones that I saw were being sold with an M Roadster, and the sellers weren't into negotiating for just the hard top (as they wisely knew it would help them sell -- for whatever insane reason they were doing it -- their auto).

Nice Winter ride, those Outbacks run long and strong (most I know). Here's a picture of my Midwestern Winter sled during sunny times when it mostly is used as a troop transport and utility carryall.
    [IMG]

tiFreak

that's why I bought it :D plus in VT they're everywhere which makes them dirt cheap, got mine for $900 with 178k and a fresh rebuilt bottom end :cool: