Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Winshield Wiper Problem

Discussion in 'E31 (1991-1997)' started by Ninetyschilling, Apr 22, 2008.

Ninetyschilling guest

Does anyone out there know where the wiper relays are in an 850i? I have been having wiper problems and I can't get them to work properly. Every time I hit the wiper switch I can hear a clicking noise near the wiper motor. The only function on the wipers that does work, sometimes, is the extreme wash function? (when you push directly towards the steering column). If anyone has or knows where to find a fuse and relay schematic I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

mlweaver guest

Hi Ryan,
    If the 8 series is part of your life, you will need an "ETM" - the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. These are specific by model year, and contain all the schematics and component diagrams for these cars. The best place to find one is on EBay: search for "BMW E31 ETM" and find the correct year.

There are 3 wiper relays (K36, K37, and K38) and they are all together in the front "power distribution box" (where the fuses are) under the hood near the driver's side firewall. If you stand next to the left side of the car facing toward the front (as per the fuse diagram on the lid of the box, just as if you were sitting in the driver's seat) these relays are the 3 in the back row (nearest the firewall) to the left side of the car. In my car they are all purple. There is also a "wiper pressure control relay" (K12) which is 2nd row (from the back) and 2nd from the right.

Check fuses # 1, 5, and 22.

If the noise is from the wiper motor, then the motor may be bad.

Good luck.

bmw art car guest