Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Where to get extra key

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Electronics' started by Footsox1, Oct 4, 2009.

Footsox1 guest

We are first time BMW owners (of a used 325i) and got only one key with the car. The dealer wants over $200 for an extra key!! Any suggestions on where or how to buy an extra key for less money? Thanks! We love the car. Finally bought one.

John

John in VA

What year is the 325? The key/fobs with remote entry are expensive - valet keys will be cheaper.
    You should check around - different pricing from different dealers, as well as deeper discounts for 'CCA members from other dealers, for instance:
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&catalogid=4462&siteid=214672&catalog=4462
    Older 3er (E21, E30) blanks are available and affordable, but you need to find a lock shop that can cut a steel blank. Newer model keys are ordered through the dealer based on your VIN.

Footsox1 guest

Hi John in VA - Thanks for the info. The 325i is a 2004. The dealer explained the VIN thing for the key. I was just hoping I could get it somewhere for less than $200. I'll check the website you posted. Thanks. If anybody else has any suggestions, please post. Thanks!

John

az3579

The problem is that the key has to be coded, which costs $$$. I think you'll just have to cough it up if you want it badly enough.

BMWCCA1

I'd try another dealer just to check that price. One that gives a BMW CCA discount might help, too.

You are a BMW CCA member, aren't you? :D

Footsox1 guest

Yes. I am a member of BMWCCA. I don't know why it dosn't show it on the left side of my posts. Maybe it's because we have only been a member for about a month? Thanks for the suggestion. I'll call a couple other dealers and call one that gives a BMWCCA discount. Thanks so much.

John