Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wheels question?

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO, Aug 10, 2008.

JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO guest

Would anyone recommend putting on 18inch or 19 inch wheels on a 2003 BMW 530i? Someone told me that I shouldn't go above 17. I don't have the sports package, just winter and premium package. Thanks for the advice.
    -T

jnyost guest

Many people have done it. Why would they pick 17 as their magical number?

Keep your weight down as low as possible so as not to increase unsprung weight.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Because of the tire profile and the weight increase with wheels over 17" on an E39 carry handling, acceleration, braking, and ride quality penalties.

So you would recommend NOT going over 17s, correct?
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

I would not, but it really depends on you. You must take into account the following:
    local road conditions
    tire cost and the increased wear from lower profile tires/taller rims
    whether or not you track the car
    style vs function
    I would try to catch a ride in a 5 with 18s. The sport wheels on an E39 are pretty tall as it is and the ride is firm. In the end, it is up to you to do the research (good idea to ask here) and not make a rash decision. If you really want 18s or 19s, you may regret getting 17s, but if you are not sure and get 19s, you may be unhappy with the result.

Thanks for the response.

ViolinARC guest

It depends on what you can endure. 17's with the sport suspension makes a much "firmer" ride and if you go bigger on the wheels, comfort will be sacrificed. You will end up replacing tires much more frequently and you may also need to shave the wheel wells to avoid any scrubbing issues.

It isn't unheard of to put 18's or 19's on but as mentioned earlier...style vs. function. Personally I want my bimmer to maintain it's performance/comfort standards. Lots of BF.cer's slam their rides and some actually undo the damage by reverting back to the OEM standards due to the harshness they experience with certain mods. If you don't plan on tracking her and don't mind feeling every little variation in road surface...go for it!

BTW, what did you finally do?