Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wheel refinishing

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by paulyann, Apr 27, 2012.

paulyann

Has anyone had their wheels refinished? After 5 1/2 years my wheels all have curb rash and look terrible. Has anyone done this? Happy with the results? Thanks

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

I have indeed. Had the wheels on my e46 wagon done by the wheel collision center in Bath, PA.

This place is about an hour away from me, so I drove up there and had them do all four of my OEM wheels last winter while the Blizzaks were on the car with their Sport Edition BMW knock-off wheels. Took them just two weeks to complete. Cost between $125 and $150 per wheel depending on how much curb rash they had to fix the rash and repaint factory silver with clear coat. They do not do the plastic center caps, though. I had Tire Rack drop ship four new PS2's to WCC and they mounted and balanced them for me. They looked good as new when I picked them up, ready to go on the car.

The reason I did this is that the wheels were all rashed up by the previous owners, and I can parallel park without hitting curbs. So I figured once I get them back to rash-free, I can keep them looking nice.

Not sure where you are located. If not near the WCC, you can ship them, or you can find other places near where you are.

CRKrieger

OTOH, a good set of used wheels usually costs about the same and it gives you a second set for snow tires ... ;)

paulyann

Just got my car back from Rim Pro in Tewksbury, MA. It took 4 days and the results are great. They look better than new. $170 each. Now if i just can stay away from curbs!

Pyewacket1

My wife's Mini was involved in a relatively minor accident in which both right side wheels were damaged. Insurance insisted on repairs instead of replacement, but agreed to replacement if my wife wasn't satisfied with the result.

Frankly, after repair, neither my wife nor I could tell the wheels were anything but new, so she kept the repaired ones. That was 30K miles ago, and they have (so far) held up as good, maybe a bit better, than the original wheels that have about 30K more miles on their finish.

C. R. also makes a good point, if you live in a climate where you need a separate set of winter wheels/tires. We live 10 miles from the Spartanburg plant, so that isn't an issue for my wife's Mini...