Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wheel info for 330ci E46 2004 17"

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ronaries, Nov 12, 2009.

ronaries guest

Needing information on what 17" BMW wheels will fit my 2004 E46 330 coupe. I have set of 205/50/17 Michelins to run year round...I am putting snow tires on my type 73 wheels that came with the car. My Michelin 17s will only take a 7 or 7.5 width wheel, I'm told, not a 17 x 8 inch wheel.... I've also been told by my chapter buds that the 325 and 5 series 17s will probably not fit over the larger rotor of the 330 cars or have needed high offset.

This is my first season with the BMW - It's confusing to determine what wheel size works - I'm hoping to buy a used set of wheels at moderate price (if not cheap) and mount them on either the Michelins or - if in worser cosmetics - the snows.

Any suggestions as to how to find which wheels fit besides the 17" BMW type 73s? Thanks in advance!

John in VA

ronaries guest

Thanks - that helps! When I explored this I came up with several wheels for the tire size, but only 3 of those were designated as e46 wheels, as identified below.

Alternative wheels oem BMW for 205/50/17 tires
    Styles: 262, 256, 207, 178, 142, 141, 98, 79, 73

Which of above Wheels are for e46:
    Styles: 79, 73 , 98.

Can I assume that the designated BMW E46 wheels will fit on a 330?

Also, the chart did not identify any 17 x 7.5 wheels for that tire size...tho my impression was Tire Rack was ok with that fitting, tho not a factory fitting.....if so, that'd certainly expand my list of elgible wheels!

John in VA

I don't assume anything with wheels unless I know personally or from someone else running that particular setup that they will work! BMW makes the same wheel design for different models.
    While many wheels will bolt on, you need to be certain that:
    - the offset is correct (most non-staggered E46 wheels have 47mm offset) so the tires don't rub on the fenders or suspension parts.
    - the wheels are large enough to clear the brakes on your 330 (17" or larger).
    - tires are the proper size for the width of the wheel and won't rub as mentioned above. My E28 wears a set of 205-width snows on 8" wide Style 5s - these tires are really a tad too narrow for the wheel width, but I won't be driving them spiritedly.

The wheel styles you came up for fitting the 205/50-17 wheels should all work on your car.

You can check an E46-specific forum for tire/wheel info overload!
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

ronaries guest

Thanks, John. It looks like I should confine myself to the three styles which are for the e46. It would be awfully dificult to buy used wheels otherwise....and I still don't know <for sure> that the styles79 and 98 will clear the rotors on the 330....the style 73 is the one I now have.

Many thanks for the references you have provided!

Ron