Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

what's this switch?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Tahoe, Feb 4, 2010.

Tahoe guest

The one to the left of the emergency flasher switch. It's not identified in the owner's manual and I don't see that anything happens as a result of pressing it.

Brian A

It is the master switch for your electric windows.

Zeichen311

It opens and closes my garage door. Quit playing with it!! :D

Tahoe guest

It's not the window circuit breaker. That is on the console above the right side window switches.

Damnit! You keep closing your garage before I can get anything out of it.

az3579

That is where the circuit breaker is supposed to be if you had a pre-88 E30. Yours is at the window switches because yours is an '89.

What that is, is an extra switch installed by a previous owner, for a reason you'll have to find out. I saw your thread on Bimmerforums, and since you ruled out the only things it could *potentially* be (fog light switch and breaker), the only other answer is some kind of aftermarket solution.

Did you check to see if it's hooked up to anything?

Tahoe guest

Thanks. Not yet but that's the next step. I was asking in case I was missing something. I do have a use for it as stated on Bimmerforums.

az3579

Good thing, too. I really wish I had a spare slot there; all of mine are used up because I have an inferior '87, and they felt the need to use up all the slots. Hazards, rear defrost, fader, and breaker. :(

John in VA

Disconnect the window circuit breaker from its wiring, move it behind the dash panel and reconnect and tape it down somewhere. Then you'll have a spare slot for a different switch.

az3579

If I did that, then I'd have to figure out how I would do what I want to do faster so I don't have a hole where my switch used to be!

I have a head unit that has a direct iPod cable coming from the back of it. I wanted to have some kind of port where the head of the cable 'retracts' and is held in place by this panel where the switch would be, so that all I'd have to do is pull on the cable to extend it and let go to let it retract. Only problem with this is finding a plate that I could use...

But I don't want to threadjack, so I'll just end it here.

John in VA

And I'll end it here - you could use #4:

04 Plug 64-11-1-368-498 $5.94 from Tischer BMW

[IMG]

MGarrison

Yup... and you actually _use_ the fader?? Even if you do, how often do you _change_ it? Set it where you like it and stuff the whole switch assembly behind the dash above the radio and make your access port from the plate John suggests...

z31maniac guest

Can you still buy that 316 HVAC panel?

The one that centers the head unit and eliminates the clock? I'd love to put that in my 318.

Tahoe guest

This thread is evolving beyond my original questions which is great but to close out my issue it turns out that the switch in question was used by a prior owner for something else. When I pulled it out there was a wire connected leading to nowhere. Now it's my cruise enabling switch.

granthr

That is a great use for it. It is also a great theft deterrent, since if you leave it in the cruise mode you can't start the car!!!! :D

For those wondering what we are talking about, when you convert an E30 from auto to manual you have to fool the car that it is in "Park" or "Neutral" to get it to start. Then you have to fool it into thinking you are in "Drive" in order for the cruise control to work. Mine is hooked up to the rear cut off for the rear windows. But I want that function back, so I am going to move it up to one of the blanks above the radio, since the car is a 91.

jeanm guest

^ Good idea..one day I'll tap into starter or ignition wiring and do something similar.