Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

What is the mystery device under the right side shock tower brace?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Brian A, Jan 30, 2019.

Brian A

I have been hunting down a slow leak in my 1987 325ic air conditioning system. I've been using Rob Siegel's great book, "Just Needs a Recharge".

One thing I cannot figure out is, what on earth that thing is under the right side shock tower brace. Below are a couple of annotated photographs.

I’ve searched the internet (although THAT is never complete) and the E30 Bentley Manual. I can find no diagrams or photos describing it.

The expansion valve for an E30 is beside the evaporator in the passenger compartment, so that’s not it.

The mystery device has what appears to be two lines coming off of it, one of which does a complete 360 circle around the engine compartment. I’ve traced the lines and one leads to the front of the engine and the other seems to lead to the back of the car. They may be vacuum lines. It just doesn’t fit into my understanding of how an a/c system works. It makes no sense to me.
    Can anyone explain to me what the mystery device is?

[IMG]

[IMG]

Attached Files:

MGarrison

Heya Brian, long time no see, hope all's well - if I recall correctly, those are fuel lines that run to be cooled by the a/c system in hot weather, in an attempt to improve mpg efficiency. The black round metal piece at the front of the engine is your fuel pressure regulator - they don't last forever, probably a good idea to replace it every so often (10-15 yrs maybe). If you have no idea or record of when or if it was ever replaced, it would be a good idea to replace it.

Brian A

Hi Marshall! Thanks for the response.

If these are fuel lines, that means I have never inspected, let alone changed, those various high-pressure rubber hoses that join the lengths of metal fuel line tubing in the 20-odd years I've owned the car. Gulp.

Yeah, I haven’t been here much. Buying the Ferrari 308 GTS QV (“Redhead Affair" – Roundel April 2014) has certainly distracted me from BMWs. I’ve been maintaining it myself which is, believe it or not, easier than the E30. A 1983 Ferrari is a much simpler car than a 1987 BMW and the 308 community is very active and supportive.

As for my BMWs, I gave my Dinan-ized 1991 318i track car to my nephew last year. Too many cars / too little garage. I felt instant giver-awayer’s remorse. Oh well.

The 1987 325ic remains my first love in (automotive) life. I remain an E30 fanatic. It has not been neglected, but I am currently giving it additional TLC ... such as getting the a/c working again.

MGarrison

When I've had fuel lines age to where they're leaking, it's been fairly obvious, also can smell the gas inside the car, but with a vert, maybe with a top down that's not so obvious. I haven't had the lines on the pipes on the pass. side leak much or often (#2 in the diagram here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1113-USA-05-1987-E30-BMW-325i&diagId=16_0301). The ones on the driver side for me were the ones that aged faster & tended to leak more frequently (6 & 7 in that diagram, and there's a 3rd, I think that's the one that comes off the fuel injector rail).

Here's the fuel rail diagram fyi, Bentley also has a general motronic fuel-injection system diagram for our cars.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1113-USA-05-1987-E30-BMW-325i&diagId=13_0267

Unlike fuel lines, there's no warning the fuel pressure regulator's had it (or about to), I'd suggest definitely changing that at this point, especially if you think it's original.

I'll have to go back & dig up your article & re-read it, but, glad to hear it sounds like you're enjoying your cars! Unfortunately I've been too busy with less-fun stuff to be onto all the car projects I should be, oh well - all in due time I suppose. Good luck w/ the a/c work!